ROYAL CALEDONIAN CURLING CLUB
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
HELD AT THE LAICHMORAY HOTEL, ELGIN
ON WEDNESDAY THE 3rd OF MAY 2017
N Durno, M Fraser, A Maltman, M Pickthall, W Jaffrey, A Pickthall, A Durno, C Ross, A Howie, S Seton, R Cameron, A Munro, L Hardie, M Keen,
E Keen, M McKenzie, A McIntyre, R Bremner, H Henderson, E Milne,
A Fraser, K Oswald, D Duff, J Farquhar, R Pottie, M Pottie, G Macarthur,
M McInnes, S Rankin, J Rankin, A Firth, S MacIver, S Mackenzie,
L Marshall, I Manson, H Downey, G Fraser, H Anstruther.
A Campbell, D Ross, W Ross, M Clark, I Dawson, D Patterson, G Nicol,
A Asher, A Cameron, W Nicol, M Simpson, S McArdle.
Graham Kerr Nairn CC
Margaret Isaac Nairn Ladies
- MINUTES OF AGM HELD ON WEDNESDAY 4tf MAY 2016
The Minutes were approved, proposed by Alastair Maltman and seconded by Hamish Clark.
- MATTERS ARISING
There were no matters arising.
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Neil read his President’s report; Appendix 1.
- CORRESPONDENCE AND SECRETARY’S REPORT
Correspondence had been received from the Moray Juniors regarding the programming of early ice. It was decided that this should be raised under AOCB.
A letter had been received from the Moray Province Curling Development Group which stated that Campbell Ross had stood down as Convener at their AGM held on the 19th of April. They thanked him for his drive and leadership whilst in office and looked forward to his continued assistance on the committee and as a coach. Their meeting unanimously agreed to nominate Stephen Rankin as Convenor and Eddie Milne as Vice Convenor; both agreed to stand and asked the Province AGM to ratify those appointments.
The Secretary gave his report; Appendix 2.
- TREASURER’S REPORT
Alastair gave his Treasurer’s report; Appendix 3.
- MATCH SECRETARIES’ REPORTS
Bill Jaffrey gave his report for the East (Appendix 4) and in her absence read Moira Clark’s report for the West (Appendix 5).
- HIGHLAND AND MORAY AREA 13 REPRESENTATIVE REPORT
The Highland and Moray Area 13 Representative was not present and no report was available.
- MORAY PROVINCE CURLING DEVELOPMENT GROUP CONVENOR’S REPORT
Campbell Ross gave his report; Appendix 6.
- WEB MASTER’S REPORT
In his absence, Neil Durno read the Webmaster’s report; Appendix 7.
- MORAY PROVINCE ICE4ALL REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
In his absence, Mike Pickthall read the ICE4ALL representative’s report; Appendix 8.
- ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS AND APPOINTMENT OF AUDITOR
Having completed his two years in office, Neil is required to stand down and proposed Mark Fraser to succeed him as President. Mark agreed to stand; Alastair Maltman seconded his appointment. Having taken the chair, Mark thanked Neil for all his work over the previous two years and proposed Stephen Rankin as the new Vice-President. Stephen agreed to accept the post, seconded by Hamish Clark. The four other office bearers agreed to remain in post.
Alastair Maltman proposed that Mr F Davidson should once again be appointed to examine independently the Province accounts. This was seconded by Mike Pickthall.
- ELECTION OF MORAY PROVINCE CURLING DEVELOPMENT GROUP CONVENOR
Campbell Ross proposed Stephen Rankin as the new Development Group Convenor and Eddie Milne as his Vice. The two appointments were seconded by Alastair Maltman. Stephen and Eddie had both agreed to be appointed at the Development Group AGM held in April.
- ELECTION OF ICE4ALL MORAY PROVINCE REPRESENTATIVE
Gregor Ewan had indicated that he wished to stand down as one of the Province ICE4ALL representatives. Mike McKenzie agreed to replace him, proposed by Mark Fraser and seconded by Neil Durno. The remaining representatives, namely, Alan Campbell, Bill Nicol and Neil Durno had all agreed to remain.
- ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION AND ENTRY FEES TO COMPETITIONS FOR FORTHCOMING SEASON
The Treasurer proposed that the subscriptions and entry fees for the forthcoming season should remain the same as last season. This was seconded by Mike Pickthall.
- CANADIAN TOUR
Alan Durno outlined the plans for the Canadian Strathcona Cup Tour 2018 which will take place next January. The Canadian visitors will arrive in Elgin on Tuesday the 16th of January and depart for Inverness on Wednesday the 17th where they will spend a further two days before moving on to Aberdeen. A Moray Province sub-committee will be responsible for organising a programme of events during the Canadian’s stay in Elgin and went on to detail a number of visits and events that it was hoped would be organised during their two day stay; these included a dinner at the Sunninghill Hotel, a lunch at the Mosset Tavern and visits to Johnston’s Woollen Mill, Benromach Distillery and the Craigellachie Cooperage. It is planned to field four Province rinks to curl against the visitors, hopefully with a committee member in each team. The projected cost to the hosts will be in the order of £60 which should include the cost of the ice, the dinner and a gift and a pin badge for the visitors. It was expected that there would be a grant from Area 13 and Alastair Maltman anticipated that it should be possible for the Province to make a contribution. The cost of accommodation would be met by the tourists and those members the Province involved on the day would pay for their own entertainment.
- MORAY LEISURE CENTRE CURLING STONE REPLACEMENT
Stephen Rankin, who along with Alastair Maltman, had had a face to face meeting with a director from the MLC Board of Management, updated the meeting on the current position regarding the replacement of the curling stones at the Elgin ice rink; Appendix 9.
Sandra McIver asked, on behalf of the Moray Junior Curling Club, that juniors should only be programmed to play early ice sessions for all their Province League games. Arguments both for and against the proposal were discussed. Bill Jaffrey stated that he would make every effort to accommodate the Junior Club’s request when planning next season’s programme and reiterated the policy of programming all Division 5 Junior games to be played in the early session. He pointed out that in the interest of fairness to the other clubs it would not always be possible to comply with the request for juniors playing in the higher divisions. It was agreed by the meeting that the Match Secretary should proceed on that basis.
Sandra McIver brought to the attention of the meeting the proposed alcohol industry guide lines for sponsoring sport. She pointed out that this could affect events such as Elgin Curling Club’s Macallan Bonspiel and Andy Cameron’s International Bonspiel. She suggested that the Province could write to the local MP and MSP to highlight the consequences of these proposals being introduced. The Secretary thanked her, on behalf of the Province, for bringing this to their attention and agreed that the matter should be discussed at the next Province Office Holder’s meeting.
It was pointed out from the floor that where Area 10 was mentioned in the Province and club constitutions they should be amended to read Highland and Moray Area 13. The Secretary stated that this would be actioned in the case of the Province and that he would write to all the club secretaries pointing out the need to make changes where necessary to their own constitutions.
Campbell Ross asked to record his concern that the Highland and Moray Area 13 representative was not present and that no report had been received. The Secretary stated that he would be writing to Area 13.
Eddie Milne suggested that the practice of throwing two stones by a player at the start of a game, other than for reasons of incapacity, was not in the spirit of the game of curling and asked that the Province put a stop to the practice. It was pointed out, that because of the way the rules were currently written, it was technically not illegal. The Match Secretary agreed to write to all the clubs at the start of the season, pointing out that the practice was disapproved of other than for cases of incapacitation.
- DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next AGM will be held in Nairn on Wednesday the 2nd of May 2018.
There being no further business, the President thanked all those present for attending and the meeting closed at 8.45pm, followed by the prize giving.
M A Pickthall
SEE Below all APPENDIX 12/05/17
President’s Report 2017
Well I’ve now come to the end of my term as president of the province, during the last 4 years as Vice President and president there has been plenty of challenges and problems but all in all I’ve enjoyed my time and everything has went relatively smoothly.
I have to thank the rest of the executive, mark, Mike, Alastair, bill and Moira for their efforts over the season. If it wasn’t for them giving up their free time to keep things going then we wouldn’t be able to have the leagues and competitions we play for.
The development group have also worked wonders again this year and its great to see so many new faces young and old taking to the ice and this is what we need to keep the sport alive.
On the ice things have went smoothly but I’ll leave it up to the match secretary’s to fill you in on the local things but we have many good curlers playing in national and international competition now and I hope this continues.
It’s maybe a sign of the times but we are struggling to get entries for competitions and it seems to get worse year on year so I would encourage everyone to try and enter as many as possible to try and boost things a bit.
There’s not a lot more for me to say as most things will be covered in the other reports and it just leaves me to wish Mark good luck in his time as president.
The Executive Committee met on four occasions last year following the 2016 AGM. Only one Committee meeting was held in February 2017; the meeting scheduled for October 2016 was not quorate because only seven people were in attendance. The Province Constitution requires two Committee meetings, comprising of club representatives, to be held each year. The Province has been plagued by poor attendances at these meetings for some years and sought to address the problem at the 2016 AGM by altering the Constitution, allowing clubs to nominate any one of their members to represent them and vote at these meetings; this clearly isn’t working. Additionally, the Province has had very little contact with Area 13 over the past few years; this was brought to their attention at their recent AGM. In summary, the Executive Committee is at a loss to know how the current situation can be improved unless, on the one hand, the clubs take steps to involve themselves more in Province business and on the other, Area 13 ensures that the Province is kept informed about what is happening area-wide. It is almost impossible for the Province to reflect the requirements of club members satisfactorily if there is no two way interaction with the clubs. Additionally, if Area 13 fails to keep the Province updated with what it is doing in the wider world of curling, then the Province cannot assist them and keep the clubs informed.
M A Pickthall
Moray Province RCCC – Treasurers report season 2016-17
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
Prior to the verification of the figures by Frank Davidson the financial summary was emailed to all club secretaries who were asked to distribute the document to their members prior to this evenings meeting. If you have not had an opportunity to see the financial summary there are a limited number of copies available now.
If you are comfortable with financial statements then please bear with me, many are not. I’ve split the form into four sections and will talk about each in turn.
The first section is the Income & Expenditure for the General Account. The sum of £3,330 was brought forward from last season. Province Levy collected was £889, down from £917 last season. Membership fell from 296 to 287 and has fallen by an average of 2.25% per annum over the last 18 seasons – 482 to 287, a drop of 195 and it would have been worse but for the efforts of the Development Group. The Area 13 Levy passes through our hands and the small additional sum received this season will be added to next seasons figure. Competition entry fees at £1,062 were almost unchanged from last season. 250 metal badges cost £456 and to date 47 have been sold bringing in £141. I have budgeted for 50 badges to be gifted to Incoming Tours meaning that a further £459 will be received when the current stock is sold.
Turning to the expenditure engraving was £202 up from £112 (the engraver was changed to improve quality). The National Championship entry was £200, the same as last season. There were 21 entries for the Province Points costing £224 (3 juniors @ £5.75 and 18 adults @ £11.50) last season it was £209. Unusually in the current climate the trophy insurance was almost the same as last year – £156.93 now and £156.26 then. £10 was paid to Ice4All to assist with their administration costs. Finally the sum of £4,174 has been carried forward to next season.
The next section concerns the Development Group where the sum of £7,214 was brought forward from last season. The total paid for ice by the adults and juniors was £3,481, down from £4,050 last season. Ice fees paid by the Group totalled £2,956 compared with £3,525 in 2015-16. £620 was received from the Christmas Bonspiel against expenditure of £448. From the Awards for All grant and funds set aside by the Group equipment costing £3,074 was purchased and in addition a further £450 was spent on equipment from ordinary Group funds. The RCCC payment relating to the 2015-16 season (received this season) was £1,576. From this sum the Group paid out £410 for coaching courses and £1,105 to individuals and rinks towards their competition ice fees. Last season’s Development Group AGM cost £135, coaches expenses were £11 and prizes cost £18. Finally Nairn Curling Club donated £100 to the Group so this leaves £4,431 to be carried forward to next season.
The third section shows the actual bank balance when the accounts were closed on 31st March – £9,305. Cheques which were issued during the season but had not yet been put through the banking system totalled £699 so the ‘true’ balance was £8,606. This equals the carried forward funds of £4,174 for the General A/c and £4,432 for the Development Group. This section also shows the total cash received and paid out by the Development Group.
As there is not much time between the season end when leagues and cups are won and 31st March when the books close it is inevitable that some expenses fall into the next seasons accounts. This year is no exception – winners boards are being worked on and the cost is estimated at £300 (to cover sign writing and a new board) also the cost of the AGM will be £125 so the ‘correct’ General balance available for next season would be £3,749.
The final section relates to the Development Group and the impact the Awards for All ‘ring-fencing’ has on the total carried forward to next season. In addition to the Grant of £3,456 a further £980 was set aside from Group funds to purchase all the equipment needed. The £3,074 spent on ‘Equipment Grant’ is split between Awards for All and Group £2,773 and £301 respectively. This leaves £692 to be spent from Awards for All and £679 from the Group. The reality is that the Development Group has £4,431 available but £1,371 of this is earmarked for the items listed in the Awards for All application. There is more good news for the Development Group because in 2016-17 they met all their RCCC targets and were awarded the maximum grant of £2,000, which has already been lodged to the bank account.
Subject to the usual caveats about continued prudence I consider the Province finances, both General and Development to be in a healthy position. Detailed Financial Projections have been prepared for the General Account and these will be updated and presented to the next committee meeting to discuss the way forward in light of a falling membership and noncore expenditure such as incoming tours.
Last but by no means least I would like to thank Gordon Scott for all his work coordinating the Development Group Finances.
Accounts will be printed shortly
MORAY PROVINCE MATCH SECRETARY EAST REPORT 2016/2017
As a brand new match secretary, season 2016/17 has proved to be a challenging one. Hopefully learnings can be applied for smoother running next season.
We had a team withdrawal from Division 3 less than a week before curling began, and after the fixture sheets had been circulated. It was decided to fill this Division 3 deficit by moving teams up from below and reducing the lowest division by 1 team. Following this, MLC decreed that they would not run late sessions with less than 3 booked sheets and so there required to be a further batch of rearranged dates. Communication of these changes to individual skips was probably not done in the most efficient way.
There were also a number of instances of overbooked ice and it is difficult to understand this, as I personally went through each and every session and allocation with MLC on 3 separate occasions.
The season, however, did reach a timely conclusion, and in the Province League, Division 1 was won for the fifth time in a row, by Buckie, skipped by Alan Campbell, who just pipped Kenny Oswald’s Elgin rink by 1 point. In Division 2, probably the tightest division of all, Gavin Nicol’s Darnaway rink were champions with Donald Ross’s Sunninghill also promoted. Howard Anstruther’s Forres team were convincing Division 3 winners and also won the Mixed Knockout, in what was a straight final, there being only 2 entries. They only dropped 1 point in the league and were easily promoted along with the fellow Forres rink of Mike Macdonald. Molly Keen’s Junior rink were clear Division 4 winners with Brian Cantlay’s Elgin Rotary rink in second place. Division 5 had the league’s most successful team, with Mike McKenzie’s Aberlour achieving a perfect 100% record. Nicole Watt’s juniors were in second place.
The East/West playoff for the Nicol Quaich was convincingly won by Neil Macarthur’s Ardclach rink.
Ryan Mackenzie won the Open Knockout and the Ladies Knockout was won for the 4th year in a row and the 8th time in 9 years by Louise Marshall, who, with Andy Cameron also won the Mixed Pairs.
The Province points was won by Grant Fraser of Ardclach with Mike MacInnes and John Sharpe in equal second place.
This season it was agreed that the Junior rinks in Division 5 would be allocated all early session games, and that during the study and exam month of January, all the junior rinks would have early ice, and I know there is a request from the Junior Club that next season, all junior rinks should have all early ice. That point will come up for discussion later this evening.
In closing, I understand that we may have 2 teams less in the league next season, and with fewer entries in several other competitions, this is a concern for the health of Moray Province East.
MATCH SECRETARY WEST REPORT
Firstly I would like to apologise for not being able to give my report in person but I had a funeral in London to go to this afternoon making it totally impossible to be back in time for our AGM.
The league season got underway in the newly refurbished Ice Centre in Inverness with one rink less than last season which meant there were only 4 teams in Division 3 which was not ideal. However, there is at least one new rink entered for next season which is encouraging.
In Division 1 Neil MacArthur’s Ardclach rink which was skipped by Ally Fraser this season were dominant and finished 7 points ahead of Ali Asher’s team who were runners up.
Division 2 was won by Rob Craigie of Cawdor who were the only rink in the west to win all of their games. They will be joined in Division 1 next season by second placed Dean Clark.
In Division 3 the Nairn teams skipped by Seamus McArdle and Michael Green will both be promoted. The McArdle rink were worthy champions having remained unbeaten all season.
Eight teams entered the Open Knock-out and we will have at least this number again next season.
The Grant Cup between Moray and Grampian Provinces was played at Inverness in January. Moray won 2 out of the 3 games and Kenny Oswald’s rink had the best score of the night so were the overall winners.
Some of our curlers who have competed in national competitions during the season include Ally Fraser, Ruairidh and Callum Greenwood of Ardclach, Blair Fraser of Dalcross and Gordon and Katie Millar from Nairn.
MORAY PROVINCE CURLING DEVELOPMENT GROUP REPORT FOR AGM ON 19th April 2017.
Summary of Season 2016-17
The MPCDG group continues to develop with each year and it is hoped that the Province members observed how many curlers from the group are now confident to continue being coached but also to enter into the Province or Super leagues. I look back on 7 months of a very positive and constructive season and take this opportunity to sincerely thank all those Club and non Club members who give of their time to support the Development Group whether it is coaching, helping or otherwise. It is only with their support that groups such as the Virtual and Junior Clubs can move from strength to strength and act as efficient feeders to the established Province Clubs. In no particular order I would highlight the following items from season 2016-2017 as follows:
- RCCC/MPCDG Annual Development Plan 2016-2017: Once again, I am pleased to confirm that the majority of our set targets eventually identified in the Development Plan between MPCDG and RCCC were achieved. These targets ranged from Junior Club numbers, numbers of Development group coaches, the financing of training coaches, attending various courses, publicising curling through media, websites and press, Skills Awards with juniors, offering coaching to Scottish level Slam and School teams, Curlings Cool and bringing through Virtual curlers to play within the Province. By meeting these targets, we had hoped to obtain funding from RCCC which would be used by the MPCDG to benefit all in the Moray Province Area. This does not simply mean existing curlers but to draw attention to Cue curling, partial sighted and hard of hearing to all in the community. I am delighted to announce that MPCDG received their highest ever funding this year after RCCC confirmed our overall success with our plan. £2000 was issued to us last month.
2.Awards for All: As reported earlier in the season, MPCDG applied for, and was successful in, obtaining funding to purchase a range of equipment that will aid both coaches and curlers alike and included cue sticks, new brushes and heads, split timers and time clocks. We also received within this award, funding to aid school children travel to the ice rink for Sandra and her helpers to coach the Curlings Cool programme. All of this equipment is for use by the Moray Province and not, as many think, simply for coaching the Junior Club only. We also purchased coaching jackets in line with the RCCC Try Curling initiative and it is pleasing to see them on the ice, albeit for this year, on the men only! I would sincerely thank Bill Nicol, Alastair Maltman and Gordon Scott for helping to achieve this award and for their input in controlling the financial aspects with Awards for All Scotland.
- Coaching and Skills Development: The Development Group is disappointed with the response to the offer made for free coaching to the Moray Province Clubs and individuals and I would again reiterate that MPCDG is not just for the Junior or Virtual curlers but open to any individual or Club who wish to enhance or improve any aspect to their curling. This could be from simple delivery mistakes through to tactics on ice. It is not the aim of the MPCDG to alter curlers delivery or style if they are content with it but if required and requested, we can improve most curlers abilities by simple on ice and video analysis. Once again, I call on all Clubs and members to make use of this free service. We have had three individuals working towards their level 1 certificate and two completing their level 2 certificates. We are also pleased to see a good number of junior curlers going through the level 1 course which will benefit curling in the long term where ever they travel and settle down.
- Try Curling, Beginners Course, Stick Curling and Virtual Club: MPCDG had a successful year with the introduction to non curlers with the offer of a Try Curling event. This was followed by a four week Beginners Course and resulted in the opportunities to join the Virtual Club and
train every Tuesday night through the MPCDG. We also had a Students day Try Curling event which was well attended by Moray College. We ran a wheelchair Try Curling event at the same time and my thanks go to Mike McKenzie for attending. Although not well supported, we will continue to highlight the potential in wheelchair curling and promote the likes of Grigor Ewen and his Bronze medal at the Worlds last month. Mike also supported us with a wheelchair bound schoolchild this season and she definitely benefited from her one to one coaching. We tried a Cue Stick Try Curling event at the end of the season to which it is hoped will attract more wheelchair or inactive curlers to attend. The Virtual Club has been a revelation to us all and is growing in strength. The Club is a great example of how to use the MPCDG. Many thanks to Gordon Fraser, Sandy Howie, Sandra McIver for their assistance in running this Club. It is at this point, I would wish to pay particular thanks to Bill and Dorothy Duncan who both will be leaving the area this year. Bill has been a driving force with the MPCDG and has held office and ran the PVG officer and storekeeper roles. He and Dorothy came every week to coach the Beginners and the Virtual Club and their departure is a great loss to us all. We wish them both the very best in their new location in Inverurie.
- Junior Curling: Another coaching success of the MPCDG is the Junior Club who now has the confidence to challenge any team in the Province. It makes no difference if the win or lose as they are keen, enthusiastic and willing to learn. Although some are still green around the ears, they still wish to try and learn from their piers and as I have witnessed in one team, defeat after defeat but eventually, a win. It is all experience. Higher up the chain we have three Slam teams participating at the highest levels in Scottish curling and even higher achievements with Amy MacDonald now in the Curling Academy and winning this years under 21 Slams with Eilidh Yates. Amy, Eilidh Yates, Marran Nicol and Molly Keen all played in the Scottish Junior Championship Finals. This is a great boost to the juniors and we saw Lossiemouth High School competing and giving a very good account of themselves in the Scottish Schools Finals this year.
New members are introduced through Sandra McIver’s Curling Cool programme and with her dedicated band of helpers; we see knowledgably young potential joining. Our sincere thanks go to Sandra and her helpers who continue to support the future curlers of our Province. The Junior Club is a big Club and requires coaches and helpers and again, without the backup from a list of people, MPCDG just would not survive. My grateful thanks to you all and we look to your continued support.
- IT and Communications: The Moray Province and RCCC are indebted to Bill Nicol for his tireless work on the communication feeds within curling. No matter what is happening in the world of curling, we are kept up to date via Bills reports on the web and other media. Bill is always keen to receive any news or articles which will promote curling in this area and I thank Bill for all his help during this any many seasons. Bill carries out administration for the MPCDG and is a member of the Ice for All group which looks to ensure that curling is well represented and heard at every opportunity. This group is officially the lifeline of communications between all ice users and the Moray Leisure Centres new Board of Directors and the whole Province including MPCDG is indebted to Bill for his continued assistance and knowledge on all things curling.
- Conclusion: As the Convenor, I feel content that as I hand over the role this year, MPCDG has continued to grow in the manner in which it was conceived and with a new Target Plan and Convenor, I believe it can go forward in good heart. My last request would be to please give your assistance to the MPCDG in any way you can to ensure curling continues in Elgin and does not come under the scrutiny of the Moray Council Strategy Consultation.
I sincerely thank everyone for their support over my time in office and I wish MPCDG the very best in 2018 and onwards.
The website has done the business again this season with the most important part The Competitions not giving any problems to neither Bill Jaffrey Match Secretary nor myself.
There have been no major changes in the structure of the site although no doubt someone new would have fresh ideas
I am sure those who have Facebook have noticed I have tried to keep relevant information up to date. Recently I have been putting the same news information on both Facebook and on the web site
It would be appreciated on Facebook if you could LIKE anything of interest to you. At present there are a couple of likes with 70/80 read which makes me wonder if material is not of interest
I would like a volunteer if possible with word press experience to assist and learn the site.
I also need more information
Good evening fellow curlers.
The group continues to hold regular meetings, plus drive efforts to further engage with the MLC board and Leisure centre staff.
The main gains if you like this past number of month’s centre on the group being recognised by the new MLC board as the “official body” representing all Ice Users and as such it is fair to say this has also allowed us as a group of users to get in front of board members for constructive face to face meetings.
Discussions with MLC board members have been generally positive on many of the historical matters raised over the past year or two but what is very clear that investment from them in the facility is very unlikely.
Where we are witnessing significant change is that the ice users are being actively encouraged bring structured plans or projects that the users
are keen to see progressed to them for debate and consideration.
The key point is that the user groups will have to provide the funding for any projects to progress!
Each of the user groups hope in the next few weeks or months to table some suggestions to the board for onward progression.
For example the Ice Hockey guys want to upgrade the men’s changing facilities to more meet their needs and bring them up to a fit for purpose footing.
Curlers most likely via inputs from the development group to perhaps looking to greatly improve the rinks exterior signage and so on.
So all in all generally things more positive, yes there are hurdles to overcome and the ongoing fight REMAINS to get some key figures fully onside and into a yes we can mentality.
It is hoped that the group can pick up on any open issues with the board etc once the council elections are passed and a bit of stability returns.
We will keep all posted on developments.
Province ICE4ALL Rep
MORAY LEISURE CENTRE CURLING STONE REPLACEMENT
It has been highlighted to MLC that the existing curling stones are coming to a point that they are passing their best. Estimates from Kays Curling Stones are that they may have a further 2 or 3 seasons left.
The cost of replacing the stones is in the region of £36k including a trade in value for the old ones. (This is for 80 stones). The stones are owned by MLC/Moray Council. The position has been discussed with ice users, with two meetings being held to date. The first meeting was held at MLC and many curlers attended to hear from Kays about the existing stones and new stones. This was followed by a meeting where MLC invited ICE4ALL and representatives from the curlers to attend with one of the Board Directors from MLC. Alan Campbell, Alastair Maltman and Stephen Rankin attended.
The future of the Centre and how it is managed is unclear at the moment and will not be known until after the Council Elections have taken place and the new Council formed and bedded in.
As a result there is nothing that the curlers can directly do at the moment as it depends on MLC for now. ICE4ALL should be kept up to date with the position of the Management of the centre as events unfold.