ROYAL CALEDONIAN CURLING CLUB
MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING, Held at the Newton Hotel, Nairn
|PRESENT||Mark Fraser, Stephen Rankin,
Alastair Maltman, Mike Pickthall,
Bill Jaffrey, Moira Clark, Hamish Clark, Les Morgan, Linda Hardy,
Sandy Howie, Callum Buchan.
|1. APOLOGIES||Alan Campbell, Alan Fraser,
Margaret Pottie, Bob Pottie, Una Gault, Gordon Fraser, George Macarthur, Janice Rankin, Hugh Robertson.
|2. CORRESPONDENCE||The Secretary detailed the correspondence sent and received, which included letters of thanks to the sponsors and contributors to the Strathcona Cup 2018 Tour and letters sent on behalf of the Province congratulating Amy MacDonald and Molly Keen on their success in the Scottish Junior Curling Championships.|
|3. MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 29 OCTOBER 2017||The Minutes were adopted, proposed by Sandy Howie and seconded by Callum Buchan.|
|4. MATTERS ARISING||The Secretary had spoken to Bill Nicol regarding his intentions as Webmaster; he confirmed that he wished to remain in post but would like a deputy to be appointed with a view to eventually taking over the role. The Secretary was tasked with displaying a poster in the Moray Leisure Centre advertising the vacancy.
Bill Jaffrey agreed to contact Eddie Milne again, about having new Winners’ Boards made for the Moray Leisure Centre.
|5. FINANCIAL UPDATE||The Treasurer updated the meeting on the current finances.
Appendix A: Financial Report and General Account.
In response to a question regarding the funding of future tours, it was the Treasurer’s belief that a “war chest” should be established and funded by small annual increases to the Province Levy year on year.
|6. MATCH SECRETARIES’ COMPETITION PROGRESS REPORTS||The Match Secretaries East and West gave their reports.
Appendix B: Match Secretary East Report.
Appendix C: Match Secretary West Report.
Les Morgan highlighted the problem of dwindling numbers within the clubs and suggested that combining smaller clubs for Province competitions might be worth considering. The Executive agreed to look at this.
Bill Pointed out that there had been difficulties, on occasions, with teams having to re-arrange matches; for pragmatic reasons he had tended to adopt a lenient approach when a decision had to be made based on the availability of ice and or subs. It was decided that the Executive should re-visit the current rules prior to the AGM.
|7. NOMINATIONS FOR AREA 13 REPRESENTATIVE||Ormond Smith is standing down as Area 13 Senior Representative at their AGM in April and is seeking to appoint a new Junior Representative from Moray Province to replace Ian Mackay. The position would entail attending four RCCC Area Standing Committee meetings, one of which is held in Hamilton and one which is linked to a game of curling; in addition, he would be required to attend Area 13 Committee meetings. The Secretary was tasked to contact all the clubs to ask for nominations.||Secretary|
|8. STRATHCONA CUP 2018 TOUR|| It was generally agreed that the Strathcona Cup 2018 Tour had been a success. There were lessons to be learned for the benefit of those tasked with organising visiting tours in the future. Work was in hand by the Province Tour Organising Sub-Committee to produce a manual setting out the tasks and arrangements required to organise a successful incoming tour. Communication with Area 13 had caused the Tour Sub-Committee some difficulties which will need to be addressed in the future. It was gratifying to note that the feedback from the Canadians had been positive and that the arrangements made for their visit had been well received.
Les Morgan asked whether there was any funding available from previous tour participants. Alastair confirmed that previous tours had a fund which contributed to the Scottish tour expenses so that the overall cost did not fall totally onto local curlers.
|Province Tour organising sub-Committee|
|9. MORAY PROVINCE CURLING DEVELOPMENT GROUP REPORT||Stephen Rankin, MPCDG Convenor, read out the MPCDG Report compiled by Campbell Ross.
Appendix D: MPCDG Report
|10. MORAY PROVINCE CURLING DEVELOPMENT GROUP SECRETARY REPLACEMENT||Alastair has given notice that he wishes to stand down as MPCDG Secretary. Mike has already emailed all the East club secretaries asking them to seek a volunteer from their members – so far without result. He agreed to put a poster in the Leisure Centre advertising the position.||Secretary|
|11. ICE4ALL REPORT||Alan Campbell had emailed the Secretary to confirm that there had been no new information regarding the Leisure centre and the ice rink but he would keep the Executive informed should any new information become available.|
|12. AOCB||There was no other business.|
|13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING||The date of the next Committee meeting was set for Sunday the 28th of October 2018 to be held in the Laichmoray Hotel, Elgin.
Mark thanked all those present for attending and the meeting closed at 8.55pm.
M A Pickthall
25th February 2018
Moray Province RCCC , Treasurer’s Report / General Account
All regular income and expenditure is in line with the budget. The main ‘non core’ item is the Canadian Tour. Expenditure = £1200 to Area 13 (24 x £50), Lunch at Johnstons £80, Dinner at Sunninghill £900, Drinks reception for Tourists at Sunninghill £111, Programme £110 and Entertainment (Fochabers Fiddlers) £180. Income from curlers was £1250 and a ‘rebate’ of £280 is expected from Area 13 so the net cost to Province should be £1051.
The current actual balance is £3,632.29 and if income and expenditure follows the budget the year end figure should be £ 3,450.
The current Development Group balance is £5,078.62. Of this £1,024.15 has been ring-fenced foe expenditure relating to the Awards for All Grant. The sum left from the Grant is £260 and this will be spent in early March funding a trip to Aberdeen to watch the World Junior Curling Championship. The current actual balance is £4,054.47.
Alastair Maltman, Treasurer
|Moray Province RCCC|
|Balance brought forward||£3,330.36||£4,174.18||£3,450.79|
|Area 10 Levy||287||£114.80||282||£112.80||274||£109.60|
|Knock out Entries||28||£280.00||31||£310.00||30||£300.00|
|Mixed Pairs Entries||8||£40.00||14||£70.00||12||£60.00|
|Sale of Badges||£141.00||£72.00||£50.00|
|Engraving & Certificates||£202.90||£199.75||£220.00|
|Area 10 Levy||£113.60||£114.00||£109.60|
|Web Site Exp||£0.00||£0.00||£23.00|
|Balance carried forward||£4,174.18||£3,450.79||£3,954.19|
Moray Province East Match Sec report 25/2/18
Curling has proceeded fairly smoothly thus far this season.
Leagues are approaching completion, with only Division 3 settled,Eddie Milne’s Darnaway being champions.
There have been a few incidences where games have been rearranged after the original date, and whilst this is not ideal, especially towards the end of the season, it is often very difficult to apply the letter of the law without concessions taking place. I don’t feel it is in the interest of the leagues, nor our relationship with MLC if games are conceded.
Another , and related issue, is the difficulty of teams getting substitutes. The majority of clubs are down to the bare bones in terms of numbers, and perhaps we need to have a look at the Province rules with regard to this.
Next season, we may be losing at least another 2 teams from the leagues. On a positive note, the Moray Juniors continue to thrive and are doing really well across the Leagues. Molly Keen has a chance of promotion from division 3 and Georgia Clarke is already promoted from division 5. Andrew McIntyre and Jamie Rankin also have strong promotion chances from divisions 5 and 4 respectively. All the Junior rinks are now very competitive.
The open knockout has been won by Ali Asher and the West has totally dominated this year’s competition.
The Ladies knockout final has been delayed with mutual agreement between both rinks and myself.
The Mixed knockout entry was disappointing this year with only 5 entries and 2 games conceded. This left only 2 games and a walkover into the final for the winners, Wilson Burnett.
The points will take place on 6th march and we have 10 rinks competing in the mixed pairs on 13th March.
Match Secretary West Report
With one final round of league fixtures remaining Ally Fraser’s rink from Ardclach are sitting in prime position at the top of Division1 whilst fellow club member James Greenwood will be relegated. Other places still to be decided.
Ross Fraser of Dalcross, who is already the Inverness Superleague champion, will also be Moray Province Division 2 Champion as long as his rink do not lose their final match. With only 2 points separating the bottom 3 teams in Division 2 the battle to avoid relegation will be decided on the last night of the season.
Jamie Cattell and his Nairn rink who have not dropped a point all season are the Division 3 Champions. Who is promoted along with them depends on the results from the final fixtures.
The Moray Province Open Knockout final was played in Inverness and this was an all Nairn encounter which was won by Ali Asher and his rink of Ross Cope, Robbie Cope and Alan Scott who beat Dean Clark’s rink.
The Grant Cup between Moray and Grampian Provinces was not played this season as Grampian were unable to raise teams for this.
The Tamnavoulin trophy was played in Inverness and for the first time in a long while Area 13 beat the RCCC. Representing Moray Province were Nairn curlers Michael Green (skip), Peter Duncan, Ali Tunstall and Al Cruickshank who were the team of the day apparently!
I would like to pass on congratulations to the Moray Juniors who performed so well in the recent Scottish Juniors championships and especially of course to Amy MacDonald for winning the Scottish Junior title. Good luck to her in the World Championships next week.
MPCDG Report 25 Feb 2018
The work that this group has done to encourage curling in Moray has eventually come to fruition when this season we have produced an under 21 Scottish Girls Champion, a Scottish under 21 runner up and a sixth place. Amy MacDonald beat Molly Keen to take the title in Aberdeen and now represents Scotland in the World Championships in March 2018.
The group has tried extremely hard to encourage Moray Province curlers to come forward for free training but this seems to fall on deaf ears with little more than a dozen coming forward.
The group is also struggling to gain members to join the Committee and although various requests have been made through the Province Secretary for a replacement MPCDG Secretary, this has also fell on deaf ears and the future of the group is now seriously in doubt.
With the Winter Olympics currently on the television, a large amount of the public have came to the ice rink to give it a try. By the time the games are over, it is anticipated that the Development group will have given coaching to well over 120 people.
Extremely hard work for the group with little funding given but the possibility of more curlers coming forward is the bonus and well worth the effort.
The group have almost completed their development plan in association with RCCC and have brought skills awards to the junior club, one to one coaching to the Virtual club, many Try Curling nights to newbies and increased level 1 and 2 courses to individual coaches.
So far, a good season but worrying for the future of the group.
The responsibility of MPCDG lies with the Moray Province. As always said, use it or lose it. The choice is in the hands of Moray curlers and the Moray Province.
End of Report