Royal Caledonian Curling Club
Division 3 and Lower Leagues
Division 3 and lower will consist normally of a maximum of 9 teams and a minimum of 5 teams, the exact number and number of games being determined from the schedule of participating teams adopted. R C.C.C. competition rules apply subject to the following local conditions.
- Entries will be from fully paid-up Clubs.
- The players shall be members of the Clubs concerned.
- Each team will consist of four nominated players whose names must be submitted to the Province Match Secretary on the Team Sheets provided, or failing that, will be nominated by being recorded on the score cards of the first game.
a) A skip may play up to two substitutes at any time.
b) There is no limit to the number of players on whom the skip draws during the season.
c) A player can be nominated to one team only.
d) Where a player is a member of more than one province Club, on condition that the player meets criteria set out in clauses 3 a-d above they may substitute for any team of a club that they are a member of, even if this is not the club under which they are entered as a nominated player.
- Any team using a player nominated to a Division 1 or Division 2 team may do so to a maximum of one player per game, but that player shall not skip or play above position two. Any team using a player nominated to a team lower than Division 2 may do so to a maximum of two players per game but these players shall not skip or play above position two and the team will not incur a penalty.
- Should a team be unable to comply with rules 3 or 4 they should play the game but concede the points, five ends and six shots.
- Two teams may re arrange the date and time of a game with the co-operation of the Ice Rink Management provided it is played before the stipulated date. Only in exceptional circumstances if approached would the committee allow the game to be played after the stipulated date with the following provisos: –
a) The game must be played within a maximum of 4 weeks
b) In the event of 4 weeks not being available the game must be played before the next relevant date.
c) In the event of the game not being played, no points shall be awarded to either team.
- Should a team appear on the Ice with three players only and the fourth player fails to appear within five minutes of the starting signal then the game should proceed with the first and second players throwing three stones each. The offending team should forfeit one shot and one shot for every additional five minutes the offending player is late, up to a maximum of 30 minutes after the starting signal when the offending team should forfeit two points, five ends and six shots. The game should then continue on a friendly basis with the cost of the ice being shared equally between all eight curlers whether present or not. Should the offending player appear on the ice within 30 minutes of the starting signal then he/she should join the game at the start of a new end at his/her usual position. The game should then proceed normally with the penalty shots accumulated being shown on the card opposite the twelfth end.
- Scorecards shall be filled in as far as possible before the game starts. The letter ‘S’ shall be placed before a substitute’s name and an explanation given to the opposing skip as to whether rule 3 or 4 applies.
- Failure to complete the score card correctly will cause the offending team(s) to forfeit the points, five ends and six shots.
- A club has the right to appeal to the Province Executive Committee to replace a player in exceptional circumstances. E.g. If a player ceases to be a member of the club or gives up curling due to ill health.
- All games shall be 10 ends or Ice Rink times with 2 points awarded for a win; 1 point for draw. Should two or more teams finish equal on points, the winner shall be the team with the most shots up; if equal on shots up, the team having won most ends; if equal on ends, the team with the most total shots scored.
- The number of teams promoted or relegated in any one season will normally be two from each division. Should the number of teams in each Division need to be altered to fit the schedule of participating teams, then decreases in numbers will be made by having a greater number of relegation’s, and increases in numbers by having a greater number of promotions.
- If a team is relegated, the skip of that team cannot play last stones or skip the following season in a Division higher than the one to which the team was relegated.
- Teams entered for the first time to the Moray Province League will be placed in the lowest division in operation in that season.
- All interpretations of, or disputes arising under these Rules shall be referred to the Executive Committee of the Province, whose decision shall be final.
Amended AGM 2018
A mind boggling agreement at the 2019 AGM. The following ruling would be applied for the 2019/20 season and further discussed 2020 AGM. W.M. (personal opinion)
Good afternoon curlers,
as was decided at the AGM ,it is proposed that we trial an experimental rule for all leagues this season.
In view of the difficulties of getting hold of last minute substitutes and to ensure games are played rather than conceded, the Province will allow in “ exceptional circumstances “ and in no more than 2 games per team per season ,teams to play a league game with three players.
The Province hopes that teams will use this allowance in the spirit in which it is conceived , and remember that there will still be the opportunity to reschedule games as per the current League rules.
Bill Jaffrey Match Secretary Moray Province East.