Royal Caledonian Curling Club
Divisions 1 and 2
Division 1 and 2 will consist normally of six teams playing each other twice. R.C.C.C. rules apply subject to the following local conditions.
1. Entries will be from fully paid-up Clubs.
2. The players shall be members of the Clubs concerned.
3. Each team will consist of four nominated players whose names must be submitted to the Province Match Secretary on the Team Sheets provided, or failing that, will be nominated by being recorded on the score cards of the first game.
a) A skip may play up to 2 substitutes at a time but the total pool of players, including the skip, used during the season must not exceed 8.
b) A player can be nominated to one team only.
c) A player who is not nominated to a team in Division 1 or 2 may substitute for more than one team in those Divisions.
d) A nominated player can substitute in any division, but may not skip nor play above second position of these Divisions Original 2018 change
d) A nominated player can substitute in any division but may not skip or play above second position if subbing down to a lower division. If subbing up to a higher division, they may play in any position . Second 2018 change : executive only.
e) Where a player is a member of more than one province Club, on condition that the player meets criteria set out in clauses 3 a-d above they may substitute for any team of a club that they are a member of, even if this is not the club under which they are entered as a nominated player.
4. If a team cannot raise four from eight players, they should make up their number, play the game but concede the points, five ends and six shots.
5. Two teams may re arrange the date and time of a game with the co-operation of the Ice Rink Management provided it is played before the stipulated date. Only in exceptional circumstances, if approached, would the committee allow the game to be played after the stipulated date with the following provisos: –
a) The game must be played within a maximum of 4 weeks.
b) In the event of 4 weeks not being available the game must be played before the next relevant date.
c) In the event of the game not being played, no points shall be awarded to either team.
6. Scorecards shall be filled in as far as possible before the game starts. A substitute’s name shall have the letter ‘S’ printed beside it. If a player is being used out with the pool of eight, then this should be declared to the opposing skip.
7. Should a team appear on the Ice with three players only and the fourth player fails to appear within five minutes of the starting signal then the game should proceed with the first and second players throwing three stones each. The offending team should forfeit one shot and one shot for every additional five minutes the offending player is late, up to a maximum of 30 minutes after the starting signal when the offending team should forfeit two points, five ends and six shots. The game should then continue on a friendly basis with the cost of the ice being shared equally between all eight curlers whether present or not. Should the offending player appear on the ice within 30 minutes of the starting signal then he/she should join the game at the start of a new end at his/her usual position. The game should then proceed normally with the penalty shots accumulated being shown on the card opposite the twelfth end.
8. Failure to complete the scorecard correctly will cause the offending team(s) to forfeit the points, five ends and 6 shots.
9. A club has the right to appeal to the Province Executive Committee to replace a player from a pool of eight in exceptional cases E.g. If a player ceases to be a member of the club or gives up curling due to ill health.
10. All games shall be 10 ends or Ice Rink times with 2 points awarded for a win; 1 point for draw. Should two or more teams finish equal on points, the winner shall be the team with the most shots up; if equal on shots up, the team having won most ends; if equal on ends, the team with the most total shots scored.
11. The number of teams promoted or relegated in any one season will normally be two from each division. Should the number of teams in each Division need to be altered to fit the schedule of participating teams, then decreases in numbers will be made by having a greater number of relegation’s, and increases in numbers by having a greater number of promotions.
12. If a team is relegated, the skip of that team cannot play last stones or skip the following season in a Division higher than the one to which the team was relegated.
13. The winning East and West Division 1 rinks will qualify for the Division 1 Playoff for the Nicol Quaich.
14. The two winning Division 2 teams will qualify for the following season’s ‘Area 10 League Playoffs’. Should the Province only be allocated one place then the team to qualify will be the one who finished the season with the greater points won in their respective division. If equal on points, the qualifier shall be the team with the most shots up; if equal on shots up, the team having won most ends; if equal on ends, the team with the least shots against it. If still equal then the Province Executive Committee will arrange for lots to be drawn.
15. All interpretations of, or disputes arising under these Rules shall be referred to the Executive Committee of the Province, whose decision shall be final.
_____________________________Above Rules Revised 2018 AGM then again 17/10/18.
A mind boggling agreement at the 2019 AGM. The following ruling would be applied for the 2019/20 season and further discussed 2020 AGM. W.M. (personal opinion)
Good afternoon curlers,
as was decided at the AGM ,it is proposed that we trial an experimental rule for all leagues this season.
In view of the difficulties of getting hold of last minute substitutes and to ensure games are played rather than conceded, the Province will allow in “ exceptional circumstances “ and in no more than 2 games per team per season ,teams to play a league game with three players.
The Province hopes that teams will use this allowance in the spirit in which it is conceived , and remember that there will still be the opportunity to reschedule games as per the current League rules.
Bill Jaffrey Match Secretary Moray Province East.