AGENDA – For the Meeting on Tuesday 17th November 2009 at 8.pm
– MORAY PROVINCE –
Golfview Hotel Nairn
In attendance: Ali Asher(Chair), Douglas Macarthur (Secretary), Gavin Nicol, Bill Nicol, Willie Cameron, Steve Mcgingle, Susan Cooksley, Janet Burns, Sandra Maciver, Gregor Ewan, Joan Reed, Hugh Robertson, , Mike Watt, Colin Macgregor, Neil Durno
1. Apologies for absence. Received from: Marlyn Mackenzie, Douglas Howie , Alastair Maltman, Alastair Robertson, Barbara King, Winnie Ross, Graham Grant, and Brian Cantlay.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the Province Committee Meeting dated 24/02/2009.
Proposed: Ali Asher
Seconded: Colin Macgregor
3. Matters arising from these minutes not covered in the Agenda.
There were no matters arising.
4. President’s Report.
Ali Asher stated that he had very little to report at this stage of the season. Other than the fact the season had started well and as far as he was aware everything was running smoothly. He did take the opportunity to congratulate Alan Stanfield on his part on being a member of the winning rink that recently lifted the Scottish Seniors Title.
5. Secretary’s report.
Douglas Macarthur reported that as per usual this was a very quiet time of the year for the Secretary and that his workload would increase towards the second half of the season. Compared to this time last year when there was the incoming Canadian Tour to organise this year to date had been very straight forward.
6. Match Secretaries reports.
Graham Grant was not present so there was no report from the East of the Province. The Secretary in his absence did inform the meeting that there was no burning issues from Graham other than the fact that divisions six and seven had been amalgamated and Graham would deliver a comprehensive report at the February meeting.
Colin Macgregor informed the meeting that all was well in the Province West Leagues and that they were running smoothly. Out with the Province Competitions Colin reported numerous successes’s gained by Moray Province Curlers.
• Area 10 Championship had been won by Ali Asher’s Nairn rink.
• Area 10 Johnston & Carmichael had been won by a Nairn rink made up of Robbie and Ross Cope, Hamish Clark and himself.
• Cawdors Dave Robertson had reached the final of the recent Inverness Skins playing with Keith Maclennan.
• Ardclach’s Ally Fraser had recently won a Superspiel in Canada winning all six games in the competition.
• The Fochaber’s rink representing Moray Province at the Province Championship last weekend had reached the quarter finals.
Mike Watt commented that the Province Mixed Pairs scheduled for March were clashing with the Highland Week of International Curling this year and would be seeking a consultation with Graham Grant to see if we could move the Mixed Pairs back a week to avoid call off’s. ACTION: MIKE WATT/GRAHAM GRANT
7. Treasurer’s report.
As the Treasurer was not present the secretary passed round the Income and Expenditure that he had received from Alastair Maltman, the Chairman advised the meeting that Alastair would be present at the next meeting to answer any queries.
8. Area 10 Report.
As no one from Moray Province had been invited to an Area 10 meeting there was nothing to report.
9. Web Site Report.
Bill Nicol submitted the following comprehensive report on both the Moray Province Development Group and the workings of the Province Website.
Thank you Mr President & Douglas for inviting me along again to your committee meeting to report on our season so far
Through the summer we had a meeting once a month to plan out the 2009/10 season and to tighten up on one or two procedures, plus we were fortunate to be awarded monies from the Lottery “Awards For All” which covered some new playing equipment, off and on ice training equipment, as well as monies to be used for coaches training and covering expenses for teams representing the Development Group at bonspiel’s at home and away all this had to be budgeted purchased and sorted to the best of our ability.
The group (Your Coaching and Development Sub Committee) is still very well supported by a core of 20 curlers that are dedicated to the cause, there are a total of 33 in the data base many of who help us when they can while the others just cannot manage the time this season but may well return to the group when circumstances change.
I am pleased to report we had a Assistant Technical Course in Elgin at the start of the season when 4 curlers took their theory course and are now putting in their statuary 10 hours practical.
On 17th & 18th October 4 Assistant Coaches took the theory Technical Coaches Course and are now working through there practical.
A further two curlers are considering taking the Technical Coaches course later this season.
No one is better pleased than me on this progress however it does cause a lot of extra work for the group we now not only have to concentrate on training new curlers but also on training opportunities for our coaches.
2009 Come and Try
the response to the C+T was less than we’d hoped for, although all of them (8) signed up to continue training. Also another 14 are were lined up for a C+T in November, all 22 responded to our advertising of the event but could not come on the given date so a total of 22 for the 2009 Come and Try does not seem so bad
Is going according to plan with only one 4 weekly slot left for the season.
Barbara King and her group of coaches and volunteers are doing a great job and we are fortunate in that they are willing to assist on such a regular basis SPEAK TO BARBARA KING 01343 860363 email@example.com
Alan Campbell and his coaches and helpers as predicted have found themselves under staffed this season due to a very welcome influx of juniors (Normal Week = 20+) and so they are having to put various skill levels in place to progress the juniors to new levels and again I would ask if there is any one out there who could give there time to assisting Alan they would be made most welcome.
A group of junior curlers 10 in total went through to a bonspiel in Aberdeen The RCCC Under 13 & Under 15 Funspiel 2009-10 where they had a team in each section and although they did not come home winners they all very much enjoyed the experience and are anxious to know when they can go to a bonspiel again.
We have that in place with teams from the juniors in the Christmas Bonspiel in Elgin and Allan is arranging a possible home and away with the junior section in Inverness through Mike McInnes who I understand is doing a sterling job through there.
As you can appreciate this is beginning to get very involved and so we do require more help SPEAK TO ALAN CAMPBELL 01340871840 firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday Night Adult Sessions
Continue this year with the format changing slightly as we have one or two juniors coming along because they cannot manage on a Wednesday.
We have also taken curlers who could not manage the come and try date and signed up a few for regular coaching
We intend to continue our efforts at this level as it’s very fruitful for new curlers and many of the clubs in the Province. To Assist SPEAK TO LES MORGAN 01309676716 email@example.com OR CAMPBELL ROSS 01309690097 firstname.lastname@example.org
This Bonspiel is set up for the new and established curlers to enable the new ones to experience the Bonspiel Atmosphere and we are very great full to all those established curlers who come along and show the newbie’s how to enjoy themselves and see what curling should be all about; this years date is Saturday 12th December.
The Group again appreciated the input in general from Gordon Kennedy for agreeing to put on a couple of one night sessions on (1) Basic Strategy and tactics (2) Expand Club Membership.
Development to me is as important in the Group as coaching is because if we don’t progress with the sport and facilities year on year we are going to struggle to have ice available to coach on.
Prior to my last point on my report can I quote you what I was told a couple of weeks ago
You will make people have to read more than twice as many words without adding twice the value
Well sister and brother curlers I don’t know any other way so please bear with me I will read it like a book and hopefully you get the point.
Moray Leisure Centre
On this subject I have had 3 official meetings with the Moray Leisure Centre Management Angela Fraser & Steve Ash General Manager attended the first one and the following headings were discussed.
These pointers or headings are in no particular order of priority
1/ Child Protection,
2/ RCCC Post Olympic Games Come and Try,
3/ Possibility of asking other(s) ice masters experienced in flip over ice to come and discuss and pass on their experiences & advice re further fine tuning Ice making to Alan + Craig
4/ Is there a written down recipe for ice making after for e.g. Andy McGlynn visits?
5/Is the advice given discussed agreed and adhered too.
6/ Residue on brush pads – Can this be eliminated & until then could nail brushes be provided at end of every rink to clean brush pads?
Not only does it cause problems with brushes but it could also be the contributory factor regarding the line and head markings becoming blurred very early in the season.
7/ Illumination of the playing surface: – Through the major part of the season this has been un-acceptable after all they did not all deteriorate at once the costs could have been spread as and when they deteriorated.
8/End of session bell does not always seem to be activated by the digital clock in South East Corner of the building – it needs to be!
9/ The ice can be very slow for children and beginners, would it be feasible to rack the sheets being used when the ice Techs are aware the sheets have been booked for this purpose.
10/ Is it possible that the ice is swept on a more regular basis prior to being pebbled?
11/ Is it possible that a bit more time is spent on the ice rink surroundings specifically the far off passage way, litter and debris ( Hughie) lying around for days if not weeks.
12/ Conformation of Ice Bookings and changes to bookings, was discussed as it was last year but unfortunately did not materialise. Written conformation would be beneficial to both the curlers and the Leisure Centre.
13/ Regarding the New Maintenance Manager I suggest that the Leisure Centre management considered getting Andy McGlynn up ASAP to give Dean Clark a detailed introduction to ice rink.
14 Finally I would just confirm I am not an elected person to discuss on behalf of clubs or individual curlers but through chat it was agreed that as I had a meeting set up then I should cover the points from the other two organisations (Moray Province & the Elgin Super League) to save time and repetition, clubs and curlers may well have their own agenda
I do consider discussions with the Ice rink on a regular basis part of Moray Province Curling Development Group so as the overall picture of the sport can be conveyed back and fore between us.
Chairman Ali Asher, thanked Bill for his comprehensive report and thanked him for all the time and work he put into curling in Moray Province.
The secretary reported that he had received 3 items of correspondence
• From Bill Nicol
“The Moray Province sub committee “Moray Province Curling Development Group” would ask the Executive and The Management Committee to consider electing at the Province Annual General Meeting a Convener and Vice Convener for the sub committee “Moray Province Curling Development Group”
I would further suggest that the two elected members become ex Officio members of the Moray Province Committee of Management”The Chairman proposed that the Bills request be approved.
This was seconded by Colin Macgregor.
The Secretary advised that this would be included as an agenda item at the 2010 AGM.
Mike Watt advised that we should check our constitution that this was in order and also that the nominations for the ex officio members should come from the MPCDG themselves.
ACTION: MIKE WATT/ DOUGLAS MACARTHUR
• From Douglas Howie
“From an article in the Northern Scot, Moray council are seeking to reduce their overall budget expenditure and are asking for comments on their published proposals to be made to them by 15th December 2009 for consideration in their budgeting process.
Amongst other measures, they are seeking to impose a reduction of 20% (£121,000) on Moray Leisure Ltd which runs the Sports Centre. This as you will imagine may present the Centre management with some difficult choices, one of which may be a reduction in ice availability or quality.
I intend to write on behalf of Elgin CC along the lines of the letter attached, but before I send it off, I would like to ask the meeting if they feel it would be better coming from the Province, either alone or along with a submission from me.
Perhaps you could get back to me ASAP after the meeting.
The secretary advised the meeting that he had discussed the above with Douglas and felt that the best way forward was if as many clubs and curlers as possible submitted a response to Moray Council. To that end all members present were given a copy of both the consultation document and a copy of Douglas Howie’s letter to Moray Council. The Chairman encouraged all clubs present to give a response along the same lines as Douglas Howie by the 15th of December. The secretary then advised the meeting that he had forwarded a link to the consultation document to Bill Nicol for publication on the Website and that as many members as possible should be encouraged to reply to Moray Council on the above subject.
ACTION: ALL PRESENT AT MEETING AND INTERESTED PARTIES
• From Graham Grant
The secretary read an email that he had received today from Graham Grant regarding “time wasting on the ice” In view of the fact that the game in question took seven ends to play the committee decided there was no case to answer and moved on swiftly to AOCB.
Bill Nicol raised the point about losing a fortnights curling in Elgin during the October holidays and that it was a problem to fit in fixtures as a result should we be approaching MLC to rethink their allocation schedule.
Mike Watt asked Bill to clarify with the management of MLC whether or not they wanted curling during the October school break. Colin Macgregor pointed out that it was not easy to arrange games during the school holidays and also the fact that the revenue to the ice centres at this time from skating was substantial.
Mike Watt felt it would be more sensible to wait and make a more informed decision at the next meeting, this was seconded by Sandra Maciver
ACTION: BILL NICOL
12. Date of next meeting.
The Chairman asked the secretary to liaise with Graham Grant and get a date to suit for the next meeting sometime in February which would not clash with members curling commitments.
ACTION: DOUGLAS MACATHUR/GRAHAM GRANT
The meeting finished at 9.10pm with a vote of thanks to the chair from Hugh Robertso