Minutes for the Meeting on Thursday 18th March at 8.00pm
– MORAY PROVINCE –
Golfview Hotel Nairn
In Attendance: Douglas Macarthur, Alister Asher, Graham Grant, Ken Greenwood, M Macdonald, Bill Nicol, Alastair Maltman, Willie Cameron, Steve Mcgingle, Gordon Kennedy, Alistair Robertson, Roy Thomson, Hugh Robertson, Janet Burns, Susan Cooksley, Marlyn Mackenzie, Barbara King. Colin Macgregor
1. Apologies for absence.
Ian Macphail, Sandra Mackenzie, Anne Munro, Douglas Howie, Dave Macpherson, Mike Watt, Gavin Nicol, Stewart Macakenzie.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the Province Committee Meeting dated 17/11/2009.
Proposed By Colin Macgregor
Seconded By Willie Cameron
3. Matters arising from these minutes not covered in the Agenda.
Bill Nicol noted the Province mixed pairs had not been rescheduled after the last meeting as per the Action Point. Graham Grant noted this and agreed to avoid clashing with the Highland Week for next season’s competition.
Action: Graham Grant
Bill Nicol noted that although he had not had confirmation from Mike Watt re the constitution issue of appointing a rep from the MPCDG on to the Province Committee, he had checked the constitution and it was in order for a rep to take a place on the MPCDG. Gordon Kennedy intimated that this was common practice in other Provinces. Alastair Maltman suggested that it may now be time for the MPCDG to have a separate bank account albeit to be continued to be administered by the Province Treasurer.
Action: Alastair Maltman
4. President’s Report.
President Alister Asher submitted a brief report, noting that he was delighted with the performance of Ally Fraser at the recent World Junior Mens Curling Finals held in Flims Switzerland.
He also noted that the Province should be very proud of Alan Stanfields achievement at reaching the level of Deputy Umpire at the recent Winter Olympics. Alister then went on to inform the meeting of his disappointment at the recent correspondence received from Moray Leisure Centre re the allocation of ice for next season and would be discussing this further under A.O.C.B.
5. Secretary’s report .
Douglas Macarthur informed the meeting that he had very little to report other than the fact that the arrangements have been made for the AGM and that the order for engraving and mementos were in hand and that the secretarial side of the administrating the Province was up to date.
6. Match Secretaries reports.
Colin Macgregor informed the meeting that all the leagues in the West had been completed along with the Nicol Quaich which had been won by Ardclach the previous evening. The Province Knock out had been won by Nairn’s Harrold Forester and of course the Scottish Junior Men’s had been won by Ally Fraser who along with Blair Fraser at alternate had won the silver medal at the recent World Junior Championships.
Colin then went on to inform the meeting that a Summer Skins competition would be held at Stirling Ice Rink fro the 18th to the 21st of July for anyone that was interested.
Graham Grant that all competitions apart from Divisions 5 and 6 in the East have been concluded. H e also reported that this season had seen a marked increase in queries re interpretation of the rules.
A comprehensive list of winners from both the East and the West will be available at the AGM in May.
Gordon Kennedy also pointed out that Alan Stanfield had been part of the winning rink at this seasons Scottish Seniors Mixed Pairs.
7. Treasurer’s report.
Alastair Maltman reported that most of the transactions for this financial year were complete.
The Moray Province had started the season with a balance of £2300.00 and ended the season with a balance of £2600.00.
The MPCDG had started the season with £1450.00 and finished with £4600.00 despite investing £4300.00 in equipment, this was due in the main to the Grant that they had received from awards for all lottery grant.
8. Area 10 Report.
Douglas Macarthur informed the meeting that he and the President had attended Area 1O meeting on the 7th of March at which he had noted the following points.
• World Juniors Finals coming to Scotland 2011 (possibly Perth).
• Mens Worlds coming to Scotland 2014. (possibly Ingliston).
• Funding available from Area 10 for incoming Canadian Ladies Tour.
• North Curling Trust carrying out feasibility studies into opening a new purpose built ice rink in either Dornoch or Tain. (Dornoch favoured site).
• We need to appoint some one from East of Province to coordinate Indoor Grand Match in Elgin (October 23). Mike Watt has since agreed to do this.
• Presentation to Ewan Macdonald, Sarah Macintyre and Robin Barnett (Area 10 world champions) to take place at Area 10 AGM on Wed 12th May.
• Area 10 Looking for new Secretary and Match Secretary
• New Development League starting in Inverness next season for beginners, league to be played on 5.30pm ice every second Wednesday. Jim Brown to act as league secretary for first season
9. Web Site Report / Curling Development Report (if applicable).
Bill Nicol submitted the following report
Thank you Mr President
Due to this meeting date being later than normal and in turn being so near the end of the season (MP East 24th March) I will keep this report short (or shorter than usual) allowing if required to put more meat on the bones for the Province AGM report.
Of the 4 curlers who participated in the Assistant coaches course 3 are still working on their practical and have made good progress
Of the 4 who attended the Technical Theory coaches course in Aberdeen 3 have handed in their log books and the four continue doing their practical.
Is well in hand with Barbara King and her team although they did have one late call off from a school who’s budget had ran out.
This has progressed again this year with numbers increasing from the come and try and an intake from sessions requested by cubs and brownies.
Coaches and helpers are urgently required here for these sessions please contact Alan Campbell or Campbell Ross
Monday Night Adult Sessions
Not so busy with regulars this season but kept very busy with ad hoc groups approaching us & Les Morgan & his group of coaches / helpers have produced an number of converts.
Again a big success and a thanks goes out to clubs who entered a team (all clubs in the East were Invited) it gives the newbies a realistic idea what a curling bonspiel is all about and gives them confidence to mix with more seasoned curlers who showed a lot of patience if required.
RCCC Try Curling
This was an over whelming success with 63 people taken over 2 sessions with 30 on a waiting list to TRY CURLING.
Of the 63 who participated 44% or 28 punters signed up for the 3 follow on sessions this season and a furtherer 3 sessions in September.
Obviously we do not know what the retention figure will be but it will be recorded.
Moray Leisure Centre
I refer to your last minutes when I listed the points discussed and recorded with the Leisure centre during the summer of 2009 with a number of follow up discussions; I would suggest all have to be concluded.
In saying that we have (That’s the MPCDG) had only one note of complaint regarding stones on sheet A (Which we got a response to) and as far as I am aware there has been no official negative or positive feedback from individual curlers or clubs to the Leisure Centre or Moray Province.
As a personal opinion we have had problems in Elgin but the situation is going to be even more difficult when the ice rink take on there share of the Moray Councils cut back in funding to the Leisure Centre as a whole.
To date rumours abound as to what changes are being considered or instigated but with management not willing to discuss / consult regarding these rumoured changes then very little can be done as yet however I think it should be noted the Moray Province through Chairman Alistair has been ready and willing to assist in anyway he can with any discussions/ negotiations that may arise from clubs or individuals.
Moray Province Web site
I basically have carried on the web site as usual over the past 4 months.
I have tried to keep competitions etc up to date but unfortunately very little if any ad hoc reporting of the excellent results of individuals and teams in wider world of curling out with the province.
I have requested material numerous times but to no avail but perhaps after the season is over and the development group work dies down I may just record all I can find on other areas of the web the fantastic achievements of some Moray Curlers and Officials for history if nothing else.
The secretary informed the meeting that he had received two items of correspondence.
The first from Barbara King re funding for the incoming Ladies Canadian Tour. The Secretary informed Barbara that the he had enquired at the recent Area 10 meeting on Barbara’s behalf and was told that funding from Area 10 would be available and that he would be putting Barbara in touch with Alex Barnett
Action Douglas Macarthur
The second item of correspondence was received from Sandra Maciver and would be discussed under item 12 on the Agenda.
President Alister Asher informed that he had received a call from Ronald Christie re a question of games being played after their due date. The feelings of the committee were that all games must be played by their due date and that this ruling should be enforced for next season.
That rule being:
Two teams may re arrange the date and time of a game with the co-operation of the Ice Rink Management provided it is played before the stipulated date. Only in exceptional circumstances, if approached, would the committee allow the game to be played after the stipulated date with the following provisos: –
a) The game must be played within a maximum of 4 weeks.
b) In the event of 4 weeks not being available the game must be played before the next relevant date.
c) In the event of the game not being played, no points shall be awarded to either team.
11. AGM & Prize giving.
The meeting was advised that the AGM and prize giving would be held on Wednesday the 5th of at the Golfview Hotel Nairn.
12. Nomination for 2009/10 Ice Diamond Award.
Three (all very worthy) nominations were made for the award of Ice Diamond for season 2009/10.
• Bill Nicol, Proposed by correspondence by Sandra Maciver Seconded by Alistair Robertson.
• Ally Fraser, Proposed by Hugh Robertson, seconded by Colin Macgregor.
• Alan Stanfield, Proposed by Alister Asher, seconded by Bill Nicol.
After a vote Alan Stanfield was nominated as nominated to receive the 2009/10 Ice Diamond Award for his services to curling.
Susan Cooksley asked for clarification on the rule regarding non members playing for a club in Moray Province as the Province rule seemed to differ from the RCCC rule. Alister Asher said that he would seek clarification and get back to Susan.
Action Alister Asher
Bill Nicol informed the meeting that a new junior club would be formed next season in Elgin and that this club would be affiliated to the RCCC.
Gordon Kennedy reported to the meeting problems with the RCCC rink and mixed pairs competition re entries from Elgin Ice Centre. After discussion it was decided that Gordon would act on the Province behalf to liaise with the RCCC and Graham Grant to ensure that Elgin did have an entry in next season’s competition.
Action Gordon Kennedy
Discussion re the proposals from Moray Leisure Centre to reduce the availability of ice for Season 2010/11
The President informed the meeting that he had already written to Steve Ash at MLC requesting a meeting to discuss the above.
After a lengthy discussion the feeling of the members gathered was that further more decisive action should be taken to that end a group was set up lead by Province President Ali Asher consisting of Gordon Kennedy, Steve Mcgingle, Alastair Maltman, Alistair Robertson, Douglas Howie, Mike Watt, Willie Cameron, Colin Anderson, Alan Durno, Graham Grant and Bill Nicol.
It was agreed that the first meeting of the group would take place in the Sunning Hill Hotel in Elgin at 7.00pm on Thursday 1st of April 2010.
Douglas Macarthur informed the meeting that he could not commit any time to this at this time of year due to work commitments but would be happy to assist in any way he could regarding contacting clubs etc.
Gordon Kennedy asked the secretary if he could contact all Province Match Secretaries asking them to submit details of ice requirements for this coming season and the current one and forward the information to the action group by 26th March 2010.
Action: Douglas Macarthur
14. Date of next meeting.
AGM on the 5th of May.
The meeting closed at 9.50pm.
Colin Macgregor proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman.