ROYAL CALEDONIAN CURLING CLUB
MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING
Held at the Laichmoray Hotel On Wednesday 16th October 2013
N Durno(Vice President), M Pickthall(Secretary), M Clark (Match Secretary West), M Jacklin, J Farquhar, W Duncan, H Clark, M McInnes, A Maltman.
Apologies were received from C Macgregor, A Cameron, G Scott, L Lock, B Spence, K Cameron, W Nicol, G Fraser, M Pottie, G Kennedy, B Cantlay.
A letter was sent to Mr Craig MacPherson of Johnston Carmichael inviting sponsorship for the Johnston Carmichael Bonspiel in October. To date there has been no response. A letter was sent to the General Manager of the Moray Leisure Centre requesting a reduction in the price of practice ice, pointing out that their charges were more than three times those charged by either Aberdeen or Inverness. The response from the Leisure Centre was that they were unable to change their pricing structure. A letter of condolence was sent to Maureen Fraser and letters were sent to Aberlour and Grampian Curling Clubs apologising on behalf of the Province for the fact that they were not made aware, officially, of a ruling made last season regarding the final winners of Division Five.
3. MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 17TH MARCH 2013
The Minutes were approved; proposed by Alastair Maltman and seconded by Mark Jacklin.
4. MATTERS ARISING
There were no matters arising.
5. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
In the absence of the President and a President’s Report, Neil Durno reported that the new Executive was running smoothly and hoped that everything would continue to go to plan for the coming season.
6. TREASURER’S REPORT
The Secretary had circulated a financial statement to all the clubs prior to the Meeting and reminded those present that currently the available funds stood at £3643.77. Gordon Scott had reported that all subs and entry fees had been received by either himself or Andy Cameron and that the current balance was £500 up on last year, mainly due to the increase in this year’s subs and competition entry fees. The statement elicited comment from the floor and it was pointed out that the figures left no room for complacency as there were still some large expenditures outstanding such as the cost of updating the winner’s boards at Inverness and Elgin as well as the cost of this season’s prizes. Alastair Maltman observed that the control of the Province finances should be fairly straight forward once the boards were updated and the cost of winners’ medals had been determined; the annual income and expenditure would then be known quantities allowing a more in-depth idea of how the projected income and expenditure was working out. It was agreed that estimates for the cost of updating the boards and purchasing prize winners’ medals were required as a matter of urgency.
7. MATCH SECRETARIES’ REPORTS
Moira Clark delivered her Match Secretary’s Report for the West. (Appendix 1)
In his absence, Neil Durno read the Report from the Match Secretary East
8. AREA 10 REPORT
There was no Area 10 Report.
9. WEBMASTER’S REPORT
In his absence Neil Durno read the Report from the Webmaster (Appendix 3)
Bill Duncan, as Convener of the Development Group, delivered his report (Appendix 4)
11. SUBS & LEVIES
The Executive Committee Members acknowledged that the current payment date of the 31st August for the Province subs and levies created difficulties for some clubs who held their AGMs closer to the start of the curling season. After some discussion it was agreed that it would make sense to align the payment date with that of the RCCC, presently 31st October. It was agreed that the necessary change to the Constitution should be drafted by the Executive for approval at the next Committee Meeting in February. The proposed amendment to the Constitution could then be voted on at the AGM to come into effect for the 2014/15 season.
- The subject of fundraising to boost the Province finances was raised. The Secretary stated that he was of the opinion that there was little prospect of success based on the level of support from the clubs even to attend Committee meetings and it would be unreasonable to place additional burdens on the Office Bearers, who he felt sure, would end up doing the brunt of the work.
- A request was made to vary the venue for future Committee Meetings. It was pointed out that Elgin had been chosen because it was fairly central between the East and the West and cost played a large part in the decision making process. However, an assurance was given that all interests would be considered when choosing a location for the next meeting. It was also suggested that dates should be chosen out-with the holiday period and possibly on a Sunday in the hope of achieving a better turnout.
13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The date of the next Meeting in February is to be confirmed once the timescale required to introduce the proposed change to the Constitution had been considered by the Office Bearers.
There being no further business, Neil thanked those present who had made the effort to attend and the meeting closed at 9.15 pm.
See Reports attached below
M A Pickthall
Moray Province Receipts & Payments 13 Oct 2013
Comp entries 1,120.00
Comp entries 2013 14.00
Subs 2013 16.00 Stationery 3.50
Area 10 Levy 133.20 Prizes 2013 81.00
A G M 2013 95.00
Ice 2012/13 84.00
Province Championships 180.00
Surplus/(Deficit) for Period 1,847.20
Bank Brought Forward 1,796.57
Bank Carried Forward 3,643.77
Less Kipper Deposits C/fwd
Available Funds 3,643.77
Gordon Scott, Treasurer
Advised by Mike Watt that he is due tour expenses, but I have no Idea how much, £500 received from Area 10 last year towards these, which is included above 2013 Prizes outstanding, and boards to be updated
Badges ? To be accounted for
West Secretaries Report
There is really very little for me to report this early on in the season. The League winner’s competition was held in Inverness on 28th September and four teams from Moray Province played in this. Two of whom came back with trophies. Ballindalloch, skipped by Gordon Kennedy won the Division one section whilst Dean Clark’s family rink from Nairn won the division two group.
Our league games got under way on 2nd October and it was a great start to the season for the Dalcross rink of Brian Grant, Alastair Bennie, Ian Thompson and skip Murray Johnston as they scored an 8 against an unfortunate team from Nairn. This is the second time Murray has skipped a team to an 8 ender, which must be a very unique achievement.
The only other thing I would like to mention is that the bulk of the match secretary duties have been carried out by Andy Cameron who has given up hours and hours of his own time over the summer to do, then re-do draws and fixture lists. He is certainly deserving of a massive thank you from everybody for all his hard work.
End of report.
East Secretaries report
I apologise that I’m away on Holiday for this meeting. I hope that I have covered everything I need to within the following report.
Moray Province East’s season started on the 2nd and 9th October with all divisions playing their first games. There were 5 clubs from the East who had not paid their Entry Fee and Subs before their first games and this was highlighted to each team before they took to the ice informing them they could forfeit their points if the executive had to make a ruling on it. All but one game took place due to one team not being able to put a team together. Please remind all skips that as much notice as possible must be given if they cannot get a team onto the ice and that they can have maximum 8 players in their pool per League team. If there are any games being changed as in the date being played can you please inform me of this (Andy Cameron) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), text or phone call so that I know what is happening and when?
I was disappointed in the number of entries for the Moray Province Open Knock-out this year. This is down on last year and is decreasing year on year. I have also been informed of a team pulling out from the first round. We need to breathe new life into this competition and I have an idea of playing an East and a West session of this competition till the Quarter Finals then have a team from each side playing each other. We can talk more about this at the AGM when other ideas maybe better.
I will be putting a notice up in due course regarding the pair’s competition to be played at the Elgin ice rink for going to the Scottish Pairs in Stranraer in March. I have had some names already for this that will be added when I put this notice up.
Current standings for the East Leagues will be up dated and posted on Facebook and the website when I return from my holiday because I never received cards from last week’s game until Friday afternoon on the day of my departure.
I hope everything I have done is in order as I’m just trying to find my feet regarding this position.
End of report
Web Masters Report Committee Meeting 16/10/13
Sorry this is a written report rather than a personal appearance.
1/ I think it is essential the Province gets back into a routine of having full committee meetings when clubs can have their say and also take back to their clubs any information gleaned. It is not a lot to ask a club to be represented a minimum of 3 times a year i.e. October, February and the AGM.
When I say minimum I mean there is no reason the executive should not call further meetings as and when required, especially after such a turbulent period in the Province administration, and during the next couple of seasons when hopefully the Province will get back to being a well oiled and administered organisation.
2/ I want to update the Province on a new web site which is nearly completed as the previous one which was hosted by the RCCC had various restrictions on what you could do with it and so I asked the then website administer Stuart Mclean RCCC for a bit of lee way and assistance as we had no training from them what’s so ever.
The reply I received really confirmed what I thought and convinced me yet again to shift our material and go for a bespoke “Moray Province Web Site” for the third time and I assure you it means a huge amount of work: – you cannot just pour material from one to another.
Quote from Royal Club
The micro sites were established to give clubs or provinces which did not have a presence online the opportunity to have one but there are limitations to what we can offer within these templates. While we are making incremental improvements we are not intending on investing major development in them at the moment.
The current focus of our online activity is on royalcaledoniancurlingclub.org particularly in the competitions section, and we are building a new trycurling.com website in preparation for the winter Olympics to harness the interest in the sport and get people onto the ice to give it a try.
In the past clubs have used micro sites as a starting point to getting online but have since moved to their own sites when they want to get more creative and expand their own content and design. We then link to their external sites as you’ve probably seen on the list. If you are looking to get more ambitious with the style and depth of content we would advise that you look at independent options that would give you more scope.
I’m sorry I cannot of more help on this occasion but hope you find a suitable option that fits your needs,
I hope the Province committee agreed with the move which of course Alan Stanfield the Previous Web Master hinted at doing some years ago but agreed to give them another chance
I am sorry I am not here to take questions however I am sure Mike will do that and I can answer them prior to the minutes going out.
As an aside and perhaps Mike P will bring it up at the appropriate time
In my opinion east is west and west is east within the Moray Province and all correspondence whether by email or letter should be Cc to each member of the executive.
I also think a diary of dates should be created for when and who puts out details and where these detail requests are returned to (I have already given Mike an example Of Douglas MacArthur’s way of doing which worked for many years, although I am not saying the old way is best but the new exec should agree who is doing and receiving what.
Incidentally congratulations to the new exec for picking up their responsibilities in such a positive manner with any hic cups caused by clubs or individuals.
Bill Nicol 16/10/13
M P C D G Report – October 2013
I am pleased to report that the M P C D G remain committed to assisting in the development of curling to all ages within Moray.
Bill Nicol and Barbara King have retired from Committee work but I’m pleased to say that Gavin Nicol. Charlie Watt (jun) and Andy Cameron have now joined our group.
Curling’s Cool – Sandra MacIver has taken on the lead role for this and has offered after schools taster session for primary 6/ 7 school children.
There are 14 attending and we very much hope that a number will progress to the juniors on a Wednesday evening.
Junior Club – Numbers are again healthy with 30+ having now enrolled for the session.
This year there will be 4 Junior teams playing in the Moray Province , while 1 team has also been invited into the Super league.
Campbell Ross continues to offer his assistance in coaching to all clubs in our area . The Elgin Club took up his offer and all who attended were very impressed with his approach and certainly gained from his guidance.
I would certainly encourage other clubs to take up his offer.
Adult Coaching – This is again being offered on Monday evenings , while a Free Try Curling session is now advertised for Saturday 26 October 09.00 – 11.00.
3 members of the Development Group attended the Legacy Conference held at the Murrayfield Ice Rink on Sunday 22 September.
The RCCC staff demonstrated new initiatives for Try Curling and these are now being adopted by us.
The RCCC & MPCDG have reached agreement on targets for Schools, juniors and Adult Coaching for the year.
RCCC have set funding against the various targets and we are hopeful of meeting some if not all targets set.
Any funding received can then be spent as deemed most appropriate by the Development Group.
As Convener, I wrote to the Ice Rink seeking an update on progress towards having the Ice Plant replaced / upgraded before the deadline of December 2014. Management await Moray Council to decide on the way forward, as they have prepared and costed 5 possible options.
I was assured the Leisure Centre want to retain the Ice Rink and have again written to the Council seeking a decision without further delay.
Bill Duncan Convener 1 October 2013.