Meeting on Monday 21st March at 7.30pm
– MORAY PROVINCE –
Golfview Hotel Nairn
Ali Asher, Ken Greenwood, Mike Picthall, Stuart Baird, Alastair Maltman, Gordon Kennedy, Gavin Nicol, Bill Nicol, Graham Grant, Colin Macgregor, Douglas Macarthur.
1. Apologies for absence.
Alan Campbell, Janet Burns, Morag Cumming, Douglas Howie, Marlyn Mackenzie, Mike Watt, Neil Durno, Mike Macdonald.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the Province Committee Meeting dated 18/11/2010.
Proposed by: Gordon Kennedy.
Seconded by: Ken Greenwood.
3. Matters arising from these minutes not covered in the Agenda.
Alastair Maltman queried whether or not Area 10 had been contacted re the payment due to Moray Province for the recent Canadian Ladies Tour of £300.00. Douglas Macarthur informed the meeting that he had been in touch with both Mike Watt and Alan Durno chasing payment. Ali Asher agreed to contact Area 10 treasurer Bill Young to chase payment. Action Ali Asher
4. President’s Report.
Chairman Ali Asher submitted the following report:
“Not too much to report that isn’t covered in other reports. Bill Nicol will update us on the MLC situation later on.
Good to see Bill here, he’s suffered some ill health recently & hopefully he’s on the road to a full recovery.
Alastair Maltman has notified us of his intentions to stand down as treasurer at the AGM
but has a successor lined up. Thanks to Alastair for his many years of service to the
The province competitions are all complete and have given Graeme Grant a few headaches. More from Graeme on that in his report.
Following on from the sad passing of Les Hester & Kenny MacDonald, Nairn Neil Howitt died in January. Another very sad loss.
Finally and on a positive note, congratulations to Gregor Ewan on following up his British gold medal with a silver medal in the world wheelchair curling championships in Prague. He also achieved a silver medal at the Scottish Championships.
That concludes the president’s report.
5. Secretary’s report.
The Secretary informed the meeting that he had nothing to report other than that everything was up to date.
6. Match Secretaries reports.
The Match Secretaries informed the meeting that their comprehensive reports would be submitted at the A.G.M.
Graham Grant did raise the following points for note at this meeting.
Expressed concern at the reduction in both initial lack of entries to the
various Province competitions or withdrawals prior to the competitions taking place and
hoped that this would improve next season particularly from the West.
Expressed the wish that fresh annual competition entries are submitted
each season. A number of Clubs had adopted the “same as last season” attitude which is
fine if they remembered who they had entered into what the previous season but this was
not the case which has led to problems.
Expressed the wish that any perceived rule infringements are dealt with as soon as possible initially by the Match Secretary and if possible President or at least one other committee member. Anyone aggrieved by a decision could always appeal to the full committee. This because one such decision had been delayed for over three months this season which was unsatisfactory.
Asked the meeting to note that all Club Match Secretaries/Secretaries or whoever deals with each Clubs membership should ensure that their members appear on the RCCC web membership site as members of that club even if they are members of more than one club! If any member is not so noted they could be leaving themselves open to a challenge as to their eligibility to play for a Province team in any competition.
7. Treasurer’s report.
Treasurers report to committee meeting on Monday 21st March 2011. The last joint reconciliation (General and Development accounts) was carried out on 5th February and the General balance was £1,629.17 and Development balance was £3,909.93.
The repayment of the sum of £300 paid to assist the Ladies Canadian tour remains outstanding. Area 10 is to be requested to make the payment to Moray Province by the year end (31/03/11).
Looking to the future there will be a shortfall on the General account unless there are increases to the Province Levy and Entry Fees. After looking at various options it was agreed to put a motion to the AGM that the Province Levy should be increased to £2 per member and that Entry Fees should be increased to: £7 for League, £10 for Points and £3.50 for Mixed Pairs.
8. Area 10 Report.
There was no Area 10 report submitted.
9. Web Site Report / Curling Development Report (if applicable).
Morag Cumming submitted the following report via email:
Campbell Ross has recently qualified as a Technical (level B) coach – our second successful qualifier this year. Les Morgan achieved it earlier in the season and we have one other still working towards that end.
Despite a slower start to this programme this season due mainly to funding difficulties in relation to transport costs to get the kids to and from the rink, children from Rothes Primary School, Greenwards Primary in Elgin and Speyside High in Aberlour, have enjoyed a number of sessions.
Moray Junior Curling Club is now established in its own right with a current membership of 42 youngsters. Coaching continues on Wednesday evening as well with about 25-30 youngsters turning up each week and 10-12 more attending on a Monday evening. Of those 25 sat and attained their Red RCCC Skills award and 12 attained the white award. For anyone not aware this is a programme organised by the RCCC to improve young curlers’ skills through a series of awards which gradually become more challenging. Each award requires both a practical on-ice section and a written assessment to be passed. Levels are red, white, blue, bronze, silver and gold.
The MJCC team playing in the Moray Province League generally played well, gaining experience from the regular matches, and will hopefully continue to improve over the course of next season and beyond. A team also entered the Province Ladies Knock-out. A
Forres Academy team entered the Scottish schools championship taking part in the regional qualifiers against four Inverness ice rink based teams. Unfortunately they did not progress to the next round this year but gained experience from the event which will
stand them in good stead for future seasons. After winning the Under 15 North of Scotland SALSC Funspiel held in Forfar at end of October, the MJCC team played in the finals in Aberdeen in March. Despite not winning the main event (won by a very strong Hamilton team) they were runners up in the “hot-shots” competition, with Hamilton winning it too. A visit to Stirling earlier in October for the Skills Award Competition saw a Moray team being just pipped to place in the final. “Friendly” visits were also made to
Aberdeen and Inverness Ice rinks.
The highlight of the season for many of the youngsters was a visit to one of their coaching evenings in December made by Ally Fraser, Ewan MacDonald and Janice Rankin. Many thanks go to all three for giving up their time to meet the youngsters, help them on the ice, show them some of their medal collections and take part in a question and answer session. It was very much appreciated and enjoyed by all in attendance.
Come and Try:
In addition to the RCCC Try Curling event staged on 30th October, several introductory taster sessions have been run throughout the season on behalf of youth groups and corporate bodies.
Monday Night Adult Beginners Sessions:
A small but enthusiastic and fun group came along on a regular basis for tuition and practice. Teams were able to take part in three bonspiels over the season and accredited themselves very well. Most have recently joined some of our local clubs and we look forward to seeing them play regularly for their new clubs next season.
A very enjoyable and successful full day event in conjunction with MLC took place on Saturday 11th December. Three full Moray junior teams and an adult beginners’ team took part along with four other Moray juniors who played across two further teams. With a further two Highland Juniors teams also taking part it was great to see so many
newcomers and youngsters enjoying our sport.
Child Protection / Protecting Vulnerable Groups: A short introductory course was run at the start of October and was attended by 7 of our
coaches and helpers along with a number of MLC staff. A further Sport Scotland RCCC accredited course took place on 22nd
January, again in MLC attended by 5 of our coaches and helpers.
Elgin Ice Rink: Ice conditions remain extremely variable and often “interesting” at MLC! While this issue continues to be raised with staff little progress has been made towards achieving a consistent standard. We will continue efforts to ensure the points are made and understood by the ice management.
Bill Nicol reported he had had no problems of any relevance with the Sports Focus website this year and credited Alan Stanfield for the layout of the Province site and that he basically just kept it up to date.
The site is completely up to date with the exception of the West Leagues which Colin Macgregor West Match Secretary agreed to look into and supply Bill with the relevant information.
Bill proposed to the committee that he look for an apprentice Web Master due to the changes the RCCC have in mind for all Area and Province sites.
The RCCC have for over a year now been running a new Sports focus layout and their intention is that all sites related to the RCCC site are changed to the same format. This will cause considerable work transferring all that is on the present site to the new layout, some may be done mechanically but there will be considerable manual keying work to ensure we do not lose any of the information from the present site. Bills
concern is that at present he is fortunate that he has still got Alan Stanfield to turn to with any internal site problems but with the new layout Alan’s knowledge of the structure will be negated (You could say redundant but not when referring to Alan) The consensus of opinion was that Bill should go ahead and try to source an apprentice by Advertising on the Moray Province Web site and Promoting the subject at the Province
Bill is still very disappointed with the lack of news items from Province curlers. He has time to put them on but not to seek them out write them up and then put them on the site. All news items can be credited to the person concerned or Name and address with held!
The secretary informed the meeting that he had three items of correspondence. Item 1: Received from Maggie Carr Northern Counties Ladies Curlers.
Maggie was writing to request financial support from Moray Province for the 2012 Henderson Bishop Trophy that the Northern Ladies are hosting in 2012,
After some discussion it was decided that the Province would offer support of £200.00 to be paid prior to the event.
Item 2: Received from Alan Campbell Moray Junior Curling Club. Alan was writing to ask if the Province had a spare trophy that they could donate to the MJCC next season.
The committee felt that the MJCC could use the Mike Watt Trophy that Mike ad donated for Div 7. The committee instructed the Secretary to write: to Alan informing him of this and ask him to contact Mike Watt or his approval.
Action Douglas Macarthur
Item 3: Received from Alastair Maltman
Alastair was writing to tender his resignation as Province Treasurer and that he had sourced a replacement in Gordon Scott who is currently Treasurer of the MPCDG.
The committee thanked Alastair for his good work over the past 11 years.
11. AGM & Prize giving.
The Secretary informed the meeting that all arrangements were in place for the AGM and Prize giving to take place at the Golf view Hotel, Nairn on Wednesday the 4th of May and that all clubs had been written to.
12. Nomination for 2010/11 Moray Province Annual Achievement Award.
After some discussion and a vote it was carried that Gregor Ewan and Michael Mckenzie would be jointly presented with the Annual Achievement Award for 2011.
. 13. AOCB.
Gordon Kennedy proposed that from next season the Hammer should be included in the league draw with each team having equal advantage. This was seconded by Douglas Macarthur.
Mike Pickthall proposed that the Province retain the one club one vote stance for the AGM and did not adopt the one member one vote option. This was seconded by Ali Asher.
Gordon Kennedy asked if the Province would write to Area 10 and ask them to consider bringing the Johnston & Carmichael Bonspiel back to the Moray Leisure Centre next season. Action Douglas Macarthur
Bill Nicol informed the progress of the Review Group for MLC Elgin.
The review committee has met twice since its formation and although progress has been slow it is no fault of the committee but the blame lies firmly with Moray Leisure Centre Management.
The curling review committee at its original meeting nominated Mike Watt as Chair Douglas MacArthur as secretary and Bill Nicol to attend ICE4ALL for meetings with Mike Watt.
ICE4ALL is the combined group of ice users at The Moray Leisure Centre, each group looking after their own interests but channelling any business through ICE4ALL to The Moray Leisure Centre.
ICE4ALL through the user groups produced a discussion document to the MLC in mid December but unfortunately got no response even with regular enquiries till 27th January when they informed us that the directors would now be getting site of this document and
would discuss the content at the next board meeting on the 7th March.
That meeting has come and gone and two of the ICE4ALL members were invited in during the meeting for a short question and answer session.
The Outcome to date is the Chair of the MLC Directors has given permission for further discussions between ICE4ALL, The General Manager Steve Ash and Angela Davidson Ice Rink Manager; this offer is in the process of being progressed.
Since the board meeting Elgin CC had an unfortunate experience with unacceptable ice conditions for their Saturday Invitation Macallan Bonspiel which instigated 3 participating curlers writing to the MLC management cc the Board of Directors, the ramifications of this have be quite considerable opening up many avenues of discussion and clarification from the replies given to the 3 curlers concerned.
Bill Nicol also indicated he does try to keep a news item on the Review Group up to date when possible.
14. Date of next meeting.
To be decided at a later date after the draws for next season have been completed.
Meeting closed at 9.20pm, Bill Nicol proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairma