Annual General Meeting
Held on Wednesday 5th of April 2010 at 7.30 pm
In the Golfview Hotel, Nairn.
Ali Asher, Douglas Macarthur, Bill Nicol, Steve Mcgingle, Gavin Nicol, Jim Thomson, Ashleen & Mike Pickthall, Douglas Howie, Morag Cumming, John Downey, Ed Dodson, Rob Tyson, Ann Munro, Marlyn Mackenzie, Barbara King, Susan Cooksley, Margaret Pottie, Bob Pottie, Sandra Maciver, Linda Forres, Les Morgan, Mike Mcinnes, Colin Mcgregor, Alistair Robertson, Wilson Burnett, Neil Durno, Alan Durno, Mike Watt, R Oswald, J Orr, N Anderson, Ian Macphail, N Mustard, K Greenwood, George Macarthur, R Greenwood, Alan Stanfield, Gregor Munro, Jim Clark, Hugh Robertson, Grant Fraser, Ally Fraser, Neil Macarthur, G Grant, A Maltman (As per list).
Item 1: Apologies. Janet Burns, Alastair Grant, Ian Fraser, Graham Govan, Alan Campbell, Mike Macdonald.
Item 2: Adoption of Minutes from 2009 AGM.
Proposed by : Gavin Nicol, Seconded by: Colin Macgregor
Item 3: Matters Arising from 2009 Minute.
There were no matters arising.
Item 4: Bereavements Recorded.
There were no bereavements recorded.
Item 5: Presidents Report.
President Ali Asher submitted the following report.
It’s been a successful year for Moray Province curlers.Early in the season Alan Stanfield was part of Lindsay Scotland’s Mixed Senior rink which won the Scottish title in Stranraer.
Ally Fraser from Ardclach skipped his team to success in the Scottish Juniors and followed that up by winning the silver medal in Switzerland narrowly missing out on gold with his final stone. Ally and his team have been nominated for 2 separate Scottish Curling Awards and you can vote for them via the RCCC website if you haven’t already done so.
I’d like to congratulate all the various league and cup winners on their successes within Moray Province particularly Ardclach who won the Nicol Quaich again and go forward to represent us at the Province Championships in November.
The development group in Elgin continues to go from strength to strength and this bodes well for the future of curling in our area provided they have somewhere to play. Thanks are due to all the volunteers for the time and effort they put into this but in particular Bill Nicol who was instrumental in setting it up and is now looking to take a back seat. Once again Bill, we are indebted to you.
It had been a reasonably uncontroversial year off the ice until Moray Leisure centre dropped the bombshell that they intended dropping the 9pm sessions due to cutbacks. Thankfully we’re making progress on that but more of that later.
Thanks to my office bearers Douglas MacArthur, Alistair Maltman, Colin MacGregor and Graham Grant for the huge amount of work they put in at various parts of the season and also to Mike Watt for his support over the year and in dealing with Moray Leisure Centre.
That concludes my Presidents report.
Item 6: Secretaries Report.
Secretary Douglas Macarthur submitted the following report.
It has been a fairly routine season from secretarial point of view. I had no incoming tours to administer this year.
It has however been a very successful season for Province Curlers with Ali Fraser winning both the Scottish Junior Men’s title as well as a Silver Medal at the World Junior Championships which was a truly fantastic achievement.
Nairn’s Ryan Asher and Ross Cope also contested a national final when they got to the last game of the Scottish means pairs at Stranraer albeit they may have lost the final but none the less it was another excellent achievement by two young Moray Province Curlers.
As ever in my report I would like to highlight to the membership the contribution to the running of the Province made by our Match Secretaries, Graham and Colin who are without doubt provide the “heartbeat” of the Moray Province.
Item 7: Treasurers Report.
Treasurer Alastair Maltman submitted the following report.
Firstly I would again like to record my thanks to Gordon Scott for looking after the Development income and expenditure.
The Province started the year with £2,308 and ended up with £2,512.
The Development Group started the year with £1,523 and ended up with £4,788. Bill Nicol will report later on the progress of the Development Group.
The Province levy and competition entry fees did not fully cover the usual operational costs. The shortfall is approximately £280. In view of the current surplus I do not propose any increase in fees for 2010/2011 however I will continue to monitor the position and a modest increase in competition entry fees may be required in the near future.
After the treasurer had submitted his report Sandra Maciver questioned why there were no administrative expenses on the balance sheet and insisted that the secretarial team should be claiming expenses. The Secretary explained to Sandra that he did not wish to claim any expenses and that was made clear at last year’s AGM. Should the next Secretary decide to claim expenses that would be their prerogative? Both Match Secretaries and the Treasurer agreed that was their stance also.
Item 8: Match Secretaries Report.
Graham Grant submitted the following report.
Another season with no serious issues as far as I am aware although weather problems in the East did cause some programme rescheduling difficulties.
A total of 58 teams took part in the leagues same as last season West 3 up East 3 down. 21 teams in the West Section(2 Divisions of 6 and 1 Division of 9) and 37 teams in the East Section(4 Divisions of 6, 1of 5 and 1 of 8).
As usual some very closely fought leagues. Div. 1 won by Gavin Nicol(Darnaway) , Div.2 by Kenny Oswald(Elgin) and Div.3 convincingly by Donald Ross(Sunninghill). Division 4 won by Alistair Grant(Elgin), Div.5 by Rob Tyson(Elgin) with an 100% record and Div.6 by Ian Innes(Fochabers). Particular congratulations therefore to the Elgin Club winning Divisions 2, 4 and 5. Pity about the Elgin teams in Division 3 both of whom go down no names provided?.
The West – report attached.
The top two teams in the leagues were therefore Gavin Nicol(Darnaway) in the East and Neil McArthur(Ardclach) in the West Neil McArthur winning the play off in Inverness to win the Nicol Quaich.
Ardclach will now go on to represent Moray Province in the Scottish Province Championships and there is every chance that Darnaway will also be invited to play.
Open Knock Out.
A total of 32 teams took part in the Open Knock Out 2 teams up on last season.
This year the final was held in Inverness an all West indeed all Nairn affair between Harold Forrester and Allie Asher with Harold Forrester winning the Dalcross Salver.
5 teams entered the competition this season 2 down on last season.
The Ladies final was between Louise Marshall(Elgin) and Gill Valentine(Forres) with Louise winning the Ladies Rosebowl for the second year in succession.
16 teams entered 1 up on last season with Gordon Kennedy(Ballindalloch) winning the Gammack Bell again for the second year in succession .
This competition had an entry of 16 pairs 6 down on last season mainly due to a clash of dates with Highland Week. Will make sure this does not happen next season. Glad to report that this competition was not won by Gordon Kennedy and Lyn Scott as usual but by Jackie Cayton and Paul Taylor(Aberlour).
Played on Elgin Ice with 18 players taking part 3 up on last season. Clear winner with 49 points Gavin Nicol(Darnaway) yet again for second year in succession.
This year Grampian Police represented the province against the RCCC at Inverness. Next season Moray Wheelchair Club shall be representing Moray Province in Perth.
This now annual competition took place in Inverness with the usual mixed Moray/Grampian teams.Thanks to the Darnaway club for providing most of the players from the East this season. I will be asking Elgin to arrange players from the East for next season.
Next Season Entries
Most returns for next season have now been received and it would appear that there will be similar numbers of teams in the various competitions as last season.
The format for the allocation of ice will be as far as possible be similar to last season with the October school holiday period left clear. This will of course greatly depend on availability of ice in Elgin.
The West Match Secretaries report to follow.
Item 9: Area 10 Report.
Alan Durno submitted the following report.
Alan informed the members present that he did not have much to report, the Area 10 AGM would be taking place in Inverness next Wednesday followed by a presentation to Area 10’s three World Championship winning curlers, Sarah Macintyre, Ewan Macdonald and Ross Barnett. Alan then informed the membership that the 2011 World Junior Finals would be held in Perth and that Scotland had also been invited to host the 2014 Men’s World Finals. The indoor Grand Match would be held in October of this year with 476 teams entered so far with three sessions being hosted in Elgin.
More impending are the Annual Awards Dinner to be held at the Glynhill Hotel in Paisley on the 21st of May and the RCCC AGM on the 19th of June. As in previous years the RCCC would have a stand at the Royal Highland Show.
Item 10: Report on the progress of the Coaching and Development at Elgin Ice Centre.
Bill Nicol submitted the following report.
To save you all having to listen to all the detail for the year which I do want you all to know for the good of the Group can I refer you to the Province Web Site where you will get two reports one at the October 2009 meeting the other at the February meeting held in March and that covers most of the year.
However to summarise these reports I have produced a news letter as at the end of the season which I have distributed through this meeting (If you have not got a copy and would like one let me know and I will email it to you).
I am happy to take questions at the end of my report or at any time during the meeting.
If I can just go through the headings of the news letter.
Moray Province Curling Development Group Aims and Objectives.
I would like to think the majority of you know the detail here but there was some doubt at the March meeting when it was suggested we go on our own. Personally I don’t think this is an option so I put this here as conformation as to what was originally agreed however it will be a province decision in the end of the day.
A word on the Highland & Moray Development Group who held there AGM last night I am delighted to report we have now representation on that committee in the shape of Mike Mcinnes and James Greenwood congratulations to them and I think Moray can benefit from this representation. (Hugh Mackay stood down as chairman last night after I think 9 years.)
Adult Coaching sessions
I think is well covered in the news letter and the contact again for next year is Les Morgan firstname.lastname@example.org 01309676716
Junior Coaching sessions
Again sufficiently covered in the news letter but a sign of progress must be that the Group has decided to support a “Moray Junior Curling Club” which will be affiliated to the RCCC in the very near future. This will enable the juniors to participate in Province, Area and RCCC competitions. The Chair person is Alan Campbell with a committee of juniors, MPCDG Committee members and junior member’s parents.
Contact again for next year Alan Campbell email@example.com
Again successful but we are slightly concerned re education budget cuts and how that might affect this group however Barbara King has got her finger on the pulse here and hopefully it will survive. Contact again next season Barbara King firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards for All
As you know these monies we received in the autumn last year and have been used wisely too establish the group with equipment that can be used for all levels of curlers. Unfortunately we have an under spend at this time on Coaching education courses but we will be applying either to carry it forward or transfer it to another requirement.
Not sure what I should report here from the 2009/10 season as the discussions Mr President has had with the leisure centre regarding session times seem have spilled over in to this subject so I will leave well alone meantime.
I think I have got across my thoughts in the news letter on the group of curlers involved with coaching and development in Elgin. It’s a long time since I have worked with such Assemblage of enthusiastic volunteers each and every one has given what time they can willingly and with patience and good humour I personally cant thank them enough for the support they have given me in setting up the frame work that is now in place can I ask the meeting to show their appreciation to these curlers in the usual way.
This is a subject you maybe thinking “coaching is not for me” BUT if you feel at all that you are not putting anything back into the game of curling that has given you so much enjoyment over many many years THEN SPEAK TO ME, SPEAK TO ANYONE INVOLVED with the Group and we can discuss with you the different needs other than coaching we need
I.e. Publicity, Fund Raising maybe a junior web site/ web page there is plenty that needs done.
Last and least I am stepping down from convenor of the group as at the end of this season but in no way leaving the group,I will continue to be involved but we have a new convenor in mind and hopefully the President will propose the change under elections and the meeting will adopt his proposal. The new Convenor The Moray Province Curling Development Group we are proposing is Morag Cumming
Morag is a member of Elgin Curling Club and a founder member of M P C D G; I have absolutely no doubts in backing the group’s recommendation for Morag as she is a keen Curler / Coach and an efficient administrator. She is a people person and negotiation would be her way on committee rather than confrontation. Thanks to the Province for supporting the MPCDG we are acting on your behalf in promoting curling in the East of Moray and hopefully will be for as many years as the Province Exists
Bill Nicol Convenor
Item 11: Website Report.
Province Webmaster Bill Nicol submitted the following brief report.
The Website is continuing to receive a healthy amount of daily hits. The results were posted timorously when received from the Match Secretaries. The one negative point Bill raised that he was still disappointed by the lack of news he received from members for publication on the site and asked the members gathered to provide more news for next season.
The President thanked Bill for all his work over the season.
Item 12: Election of Office Bearers and Auditor.
The Office Bearers, i.e. President Ali Asher, Vice President Mike Watt, Treasurer Alastair Maltman, Match Secretaries Graham Grant and Colin Macgregor, Secretary Douglas Macarthur along with Auditor Bill Young stood for re election on bloc.
Proposed by Sandra Mackenzie.
Seconded by Ian Macphail.
Item 13: Nomination of Club Reps.
The Secretary notified the meeting of the following nominations for the coming season.
Aberlour: Willie Cameron.
Ardclach: Ken Greenwood.
Ballindalloch: Gordon Kennedy.
Bank of Scotland: Alastair Maltman.
Buckie: Sandy Mackintosh.
Cawdor: Hugh Robertson.
Dalcross: Neil Anderson.
Darnaway: Gavin Nicol.
Elgin: Douglas Howie.
Elgin Junior Curling Club: Alan Campbell
Elgin Rotary: Brian Cantlay.
Elgin Tennis and Curling: David Macpherson.
Fochabers: Neil Durno.
Forres: Mike Macdonald.
Grampian Police: Alister Robertson.
Highland and Moray Juniors: Janice Macarthur.
Moray Firth Ladies: Marlyn Mackenzie.
Moray Wheelchairs: Gregor Ewan.
Nairn: Stewart Baird.
Nairn Ladies: Irene Macarthur
Sunninghill: Jonathon Orr.
The above nominations were proposed for election by Mike Watt and seconded by Colin Macgregor.
Item 14: Annual Subscription and Entry Fees.
It was proposed by Treasurer Alistair Maltman that the fees be frozen for the coming season,this was seconded by Colin Macgregor.
Item 15: Correspondence.
The Secretary informed the meeting that he had received four items of Correspondence.
Item 1, received from Judith Spencely on behalf of Northern Counties Ladies Curlers.Judith had written to Moray Province informing us that the NCLC were preparing a bid to host the 2012 Henderson Bishop Ladies Competition at Inverness Ice Centre and was requesting financial support from Moray Province.
After discussion it was decided that Moray Province would consider to support the NCLC at their committee meeting in the Autumn, the decision would be left to the Management Committee but was obviously dependant on whether the NCLC bid was successful.
Item 2, received from Alan Campbell on behalf of Moray Junior Curling Club.
Alan had written to the Province in his capacity as President of the newly formed Moray Junior Curling Club requesting financial support for the club.
The overall feeling of the members present was very positive towards supporting the newly formed club at least in the first year. Douglas Howie suggested that the Province should create a fund specifically to support Junior Curling, Mike Watt commented that we should be doing all we can to support the Junior Club and suggested a one off donation of £250.00. Treasurer Alastair Maltman reminded the meeting that juniors do not pay fees or levies to the Province and are excused entry fees for any Province Competitions. After discussion it was decided that the Province Committee should look to support the juniors and a decision should be made at the Autumn Committee Meeting
Item 3, received from Bill Nicol.
Bill had written to the Province regarding the title of the Ice Diamond Award.
Bill pointed out that the title of the above award was causing confusion as it had the same title as the annual award presented by the RCCC, which was where the Moray Province award originated from.
It was decided that this award which was presented to the Province by Bill be referred to forth with as the Moray Province Annual Achievement Award.
Item 4, received from Bill Nicol.
Bill had written to the Province quoting an item from the Province Constitution re the Eligibility to attend and vote at meetings.
(b) Eligibility to Attend – All members of all member clubs in the Province are entitled to attend the Annual General Meeting and Special Meetings and to take part in the deliberations but each member club shall only have one vote through its representative member and only that member may propose or second motions and amendments. The Secretary shall take the names of the representative members attending the meeting.
Basically Bill was floating the idea that the Province should consider moving to one member one vote in line with the RCCC.
Alan Stanfield informed the meeting that this would require an amendment to the Province Constitution which would have to be done at the next AGM, in order for this to take place a member would require to write to the Secretary six weeks prior to the next AGM.
It was decided that this item of correspondence from Bill should be treated as a request for an amendment to the Constitution and become an Agenda item for discussion at next year’s AGM.
Item 16: AOCB
Mike Watt informed the membership that he and President Ali Asher had met with Steve Ash at Elgin Ice Centre to discuss the ice availability for next season. Mike informed the membership that the meeting had been constructive and that they had negotiated 570 sheets of ice for next season which was sufficient to meet the demand from the Clubs, Province and Super league.
Mike informed the meeting that the charge for ice would be increased to £10.00, unfortunately the bar facility would be withdrawn but would be made available for bonspiels and special events.
He and Graham Grant would be meeting with Angela at Moray Leisure Centre to schedule the Province ice requirements and hopefully devise an improved ice booking system for next season.
President Asher stressed that during negotiations with MLC there had been a big emphasis put forward by the Province on the quality of ice provided for its members.
Ian Macphail congratulated both Mike and the President on their successful negotiations with MLC.
Gavin Nicol volunteered his services to source a new base for the Gammock bell which the Secretary had been quoted £200.00 by Inverness Trophy Centre.
Finally Sandra MacIver asked to formally propose Morag Cumming as Convenor of the Moray Province Curling Development Group.
This was seconded by Les Morgan.
The meeting closed at 8.45pm, Alastair Maltman proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman.