Golfview Hotel Nairn
Minutes of the Meeting on Tuesday 4th November 2008 at 8.00pm
Present: Gavin Nicol, Douglas Macarthur, Fiona Macleod, Bill Nicol, Mike Watt, Alan Durno, George Macarthur, Douglas Howie, Alastair Maltman, Hugh Robertson, Colin Macgregor, Alistair Asher, David Torrance.
Apologies for absence.
Fay Coutts, Donald Ross, Alistair Robertson, Sandra McIvor, Willie Cameron, Stuart Mackenzie, Kenny Greenwood, Irene Macarthur, Graham Grant
- Adoption of Minutes of the Province Committee Meeting dated 26/02/2008.
Proposed By: Colin Macgregor
Seconded By: Mike Watt
- Matters arising from these minutes not covered in the Agenda.
Mike Watt asked what the outcome of the issue re the Mixed Knock Out final. Douglas Howie confirmed that his rink had forfeited and the Trophy had been awarded to Fochabers.
- President’s Report.
President Gavin Nicol Submitted his report
”I would like to thank our Match Secretaries Graham and Colin for getting off to a good start this season. I am looking forward to the Canadians coming in January; this should be a great opportunity to show how we look after a tour with good craic and good curling. Hopefully they will enjoy their time with us.
This weekend there is a skins competition in Inverness. This is a great event so if you have time to spare go along and support it as it is sure to be a great competition.
The following weekend Moray Province have two teams going to Greenacres for the Province Championship so hopefully there will be good results coming home and maybe even some silverware.
The Ice rink in Elgin after the October Holidays was not good and led to several written complaints. We have been keeping a close eye on the situation and seem to be much improved this week. Moray Firth Ladies may have been paying all their players and we would like to clarify that you only pay one sub.
Curlers from Moray Province Development Group must have paid their subs to RCCC before playing in Moray Province League or Area 10 competitions.
Could Club Secretaries please take notice of fliers from MPCDG regarding recruitment evenings because when these were held last year only one club turned up.
Well done to Moray Province Curling Development Group on the superb way their come and try was received by the public. I witnessed lots of enjoyment and enthusiasm and a great response to progressing on to the next stage of evening sessions. Finally I would like to thank Douglas for all his paperwork and help during this year, without his help I certainly would not be as organised as I am.”
After the President submitted his report the condition of Ice at Elgin was discussed again at length, the consensus was that now the condition of ice had drastically improved the Province would monitor the ice conditions and write to the Ice Centre on behalf of member clubs immediately should conditions deteriorate.
Action (if required) Gavin Nicol
The Chairman then went on to ask Treasurer Alastair Maltman to confirm that the members of Moray Firth Ladies did not require to pay an individual Province Sub if they had already paid it through their mother club. Alastair agreed that this was indeed the case. The Chairman asked Alastair if he would drop an email to Fay Coutts at Moray Firth Ladies to confirm just that.
Action Alastair Maltman
The Secretary had little to report at this stage of the season other than to compliment the Match Secretaries on their good work in getting the season up and running. After last years experience he realises that other than arranging the meetings and taking the minutes he does not he does not get busy until the prize giving although he expects that to be different this year with the Canadian Tour rapidly approaching.
Match Secretaries reports.
West Colin Macgregor: Colin reported that all was going well in the leagues in the West and that no problems had been experienced to date. He also reminded curlers of the Skins competition that was taking place in Inverness this weekend and that they were well worth supporting.
East Graeme Grant: Graeme was not present at the meeting but reported through the Secretary that all was well apart fro he had received another withdrawal from East Division 7, which was now down to four teams following the withdrawal of Aberlour’s Jackie Clayton. He asked Douglas to report to the committee that he would be contacting the four remaining skips and asking them their views on whether or not they wished the fixture list to remain the same or would they prefer if he was to revise the fixture list so that they played themselves twice.
Before moving on to item 7 Mike Watt asked if a copy of the Province rules could be made available at both Inverness and Elgin Ice Rinks to help clarify any disputes that may occur and if this could be done as soon as possible ideally before the next round of the Knock Out.
Action Colin Macgregor and Graeme Grant
- Treasurer’s report.
Treasurer Alastair Maltman submitted a very positive financial report stating that the Province had a total of £3853.00 at its disposal less £620.00 that was specifically ring fenced for development
He advised the Committee that all clubs bar one had paid their 2008/09 dues and that the club in arrears had been contacted on three separate occasions without reply. He would however be speaking to the club in questions President after tonight’s meeting.
The only other point raised by Alistair was that the Lion Hotel had still not cashed the cheque for £90.00 for last seasons prize giving.
He concluded his report by underling that the Province should have no worries regarding meeting its share of the costs towards the 2009 incoming Canadian Tour.
- Area 10 Report.
There was no report from Area 10. The Secretary informed the meeting that he and Chairman Gavin Nicol would be attending an Area 10 meeting at Inverness Ice Rink some time towards the end of November once the date had been confirmed.
- Combined Report from Webmaster Bill Nicol on the MPCDG and Province Website.
Bill Nicol submitted his report:
“Following our report to the AGM progress has continued a pace thanks again to the enthusiasm of volunteers and coaches.
At The end of the Season I attended the RCCC AGM and Gala Dinner on behalf of “The Moray Province” and in particular on behalf of the Province sub Committee “Moray Province Curling Development Group”
We had been nominated by an anonymous source and then selected onto the short leet by The RCCC for the award.
The rest is history we won the category Ice Diamonds award
As quoted from the Invitation for nominations
•Ice Diamond Award•
Sponsored by Clyde and Forth Press (Scottish Curler)
This Award is for a volunteer or group of volunteers who have contributed to the development and promotion of the sport.
The winner of this award will be for the unsung hero’s of curling who make things happen behind the scenes.
The Group are delighted with our success for such an award and look forward to continuing the work we have started.
At the first meeting of MPCDG office bearers following our success we discussed what we could do with the trophy and rather than have it sit in a glass case we decided would ask The Moray Province and Club Representatives to consider taking this trophy into their safe keeping.
We suggest it could be presented at the Prize Giving on an annual basis to a curler or a group of curlers who have excelled in the Past Curling Season.
The Group were unanimous that it should be “During the last Curling Season” as this way it would embrace a wider number of curlers rather than for some one who has historically excelled in their work for Curling in the Moray Province.
Should you consider this a worthy proposal we would also suggest that guidelines are drawn up for future and club representatives so as the purpose of presenting the Moray Province Ice Diamonds Award is not lost.
The summer break from curling was a short one before we started to arrange our programme for the 2008/2009 season.
Barbara King and her helpers visited schools prior to the summer break with a set of “New Age Curling” which proved to be a success and may be continued next summer.
We also met with Moray College to try and source assistance from HN students at our Curling’s Cool and follow on sessions.
We had meetings with The Moray Council Schools coordinators from various areas to promote curling both in junior and secondary schools.
This has proved so far to be fairly successful but the next couple of months will prove if our labours have been fruitful.
The Exception to this of course is Curling’s Cool which has already booked 4 week sessions with primary schools from now and till the end of February.
We have had our 2008 / 2009 seasons Come and Try at the end of October and again it has been successful
We had 34 attended the event and have 24 adults signed up for Monday night follow on sessions starting on the 10th of November and 4 children for the Wednesday Night (Junior Club) which has already started
We have Just Yesterday had Judith Macfarlane Development Manager and Lynne Robertson Coaching Officer both from The RCCC put another 6 Moray Province Curlers on the road to become Level A coaches by doing the theory part, with the practical being done through this season.
Also yesterday we had a skills awards workshop which 6 level A coaches attending from the MPCDG and 2 from Moray Province East, and hopefully that again will benefit young curlers.
Other Relevant points
Alan Campbell took a junior rink to an Aberdeen to a SALC bonspiel where they acquitted themselves very well and with out doubt gained from the experience.
We are assisting in the organising and the running of the Moray Leisure Centre Bonspiel in late December and in return they have kindly allowed us to run some form of fundraising for The Group.
Assistance is still required with in the group and you do not necessarily need to coach it would help us tremendously if we could have volunteers to join us for the following
Fund Raising organiser
Publicity for both the Group and I am sure The Moray Province leagues, KO, etc could benefit from more publicity.
General Duties (Scary as I am not sure what all that might entail)
New club recruits available after our improver sessions which follow our come and try day.
Last year we sent out information as to when Moray Province Clubs could come along and introduce their clubs to the new curlers and promote their club (Late December).
It is our intention to carry out this exercise again this season and would hope for a better turn out of clubs I am sure all clubs need new recruits.
Please do not bombard the new curlers with phone calls emails etc when they have not quite made up their mind as to whether they wish to follow on with the sport.
ALL clubs will be circulated and that will be the time to come and meet all participants at one sitting.
If you think the Group can help your club in any way with Coaching or Development then please fell free to approach any one involved with the group and if we can we will if not I am pretty sure we will know someone who can.
In general coaching has had the highest profile in the group but we do feel that Curling Development is every bit as important and we are working away at a couple of projects which may bear fruit in the future.
Bill Nicol is a member of the RCCC Club and Development Committee and would recommend that you keep having a look at the two drop down menus on The RCCC site “LEARN & PLAY” and “Development” Having said that have patience as these two items are being revamped to be more informative and user friendly.
Elgin Leisure Centre which is the Home rink of all East based clubs obviously comes under development and we as a group have a good relationship with them but are working away at trying to improve even more “liaison” which is some times difficult to quantify between the two parties. (We will persevere)
Web Site Report
As anticipated when taking on such and excellent designed and maintained site from Alan Stanfield just keeping up the standard would be difficult enough so hopefully although I am trying one or two different ways of doing things it is not detracting from the standard and you are still getting what each individual wants from it.
I would like more information to put on either about Province or club affairs and I have asked George Macarthur to keep me up to date with the goings on at Elite Level where a number of Province curlers are participating around the world.
I would also like to have GHOST reporters if that is the way they want it with gossip and goings on in the EAST and the WEST “
The Committee complimented Bill on his excellent work and detailed report.
- Incoming Canadian Tour.
The Chairman advised the that plans for the forth coming Canadian tour were well under way and he hoped that MorayProvince would continue its tradition of welcoming and entertaining incoming touring teams in the true spirit of the game.
After lengthy discussion the following decisions were made.
Gifts to Tourists:
The Secretary to order 40 Embroidered Baseball Hats in Royal Blue at a cost of £12.00 each as per the sample shown to the Committee at the meeting.
Action Douglas Macarthur
Whisky Cakes, Alistair Asher agreed to offered donate 22 Whisky cakes to the Canadian Tourists.
Action Alistair Asher
The Secretary to arrange the menu for the dinner with the Eight Acres Hotel to include Soup, a choice of chicken or baked haddock, with either a sweet dessert or cheese and biscuits. At a price of £25.00 per head. The Secretary was also advised to inform the RCCC of the choice of menu.
Action Douglas Macarthur
Printing of Dinner Menu:
Alistair Asher agreed to approach Howard Andstruther regarding printing the Menu for the dinner using the same template as he had used in 1998.
Action Alistair Asher Hotel Arrangements re Accommodation:
Alan Durno advised the Secretary to confirm what time the Canadians would get access to their rooms on the morning of the 14th and also to make the hotel aware of the plan re room allocations for the Tourists.
Action Douglas Macarthur
Lunch prior to game:
The Chairman informed the meeting that he had approached Johnston’s Woollen Mill in Elgin to provide the lunch and was awaiting confirmation.
Action Gavin Nicol
Selection of Players
It was decided that the selection of players would be left to the Executive who would meet immediately after this meeting to draw up a short list of players. These players when accepting the invitation would have to commit not only to the Curling but also to the Lunch and Dinner at an approximate cost of £50.00 per head
Action Executive Committee
The Secretary brought to the attention of the following email received from Bill Nicol.
I understand from President Gavin Nicol that the Province committee is meeting in Early November.
Could I ask you on behalf of the Moray Province Development Group to request that the Province Committee consider an application for funds from us towards the cost of a Coaching Course and Skills Awards work shop we are organising on the 3rd of November at Moray Leisure Centre?
We are fortunate as a group we have further volunteers willing to join us to promote, coach and develop curling in The Moray Province East Section. (The West section is already covered and has been for many years by The Highland and Moray Development Group).
We have not yet accumulated enough funds for such an event although we have bought equipment for the group and were self sufficient last season.
We are planning some other fund raising but in the meantime I would ask that the Province as the parent body support us to an extent they feel reasonable.
The Costs involved per curler are as follows. (Costs are invoiced to us by RCCC)
Assistant Coaches Course 13.00 for approx 4 hours, RCCC Charge £25 or £10 for refresher (new presentation)
Skills Awards Work Shop 18.00 to 20.30 RCCC charge £15
At the time of writing this email I have not got confirmed numbers although I would expect 8 to 10 per course
If the Province would consider my request and perhaps give a figure per curler attending then that would be appreciated
As you will see from the Cc above I have copied this email To Gavin as President and Alistair Maltman as Treasurer for obvious reasons
Look forward to hearing from you.
After a short discussion with particular in put from Douglas Howie it was proposed by Alastair Maltman and seconded by Colin Macgregor that the Province forward a cheque to Bill for £250.00 to support what is without doubt a worth while project.
Action Alastair Maltman
The Secretary then brought to the attention of the Committee the following email received from Sandra McIver
I am unable to attend the meeting on Tuesday but Ann Munro will be representing Forres Curling Club. Could you bring 10 province badges to the meeting and give them to Ann.
I am sure somebody else will ask for the matter of the quality of Elgin Ice to be raised but in case none does can it be discussed. I would like to know if the Province is complaining about it or do you want each club to complain. I would also like to know what they are
doing to rectify the matter.
The Committee noted Sandra’s comments and agreed that this matter had already been covered under the Presidents report. Douglas passed the 10 badges on to the Chairman to deliver to Sandra and confirmed that he would advise Sandra that her point had been noted and dealt with.
Action (badges) Gavin Nicol
Action (inform Sandra McIver) Douglas Macarthur
There was no any other competent business to discuss.
- Date of next meeting.
- The date of the next meeting was decided upon 24th of February 2009 at the Golfview Hotel Nairn.