League Table

SkipPlayedWonLostDrawnShots ForShots AgainstEnds WonDiffPoints
Torok, D641138419-29
MacArdle, Seamus63303712466
Bunker, Hamish52213101825
Smart, J514025-514-62

Draw & Results

TimeRinkShotsEnds
Wed 02 Oct
18:50Seamus MacArdle vs Hamish Bunker 10 – 16 – 1
18:50D Torok vs J Smart 9 – 74 – 3
Wed 23 Oct
18:50J Smart R Marwick vs Seamus MacArdle 5 – 62 – 5
Wed 06 Nov
18:50D Torok vs Hamish Bunker 8 – 83 – 4
Wed 20 Nov
18:50D Torok vs Seamus MacArdle 4 – 73 – 4
Wed 04 Dec
18:50J Smart vs Hamish Bunker 1 – 71 – 6
Wed 08 Jan
18:50Seamus MacArdle vs Hamish Bunker 8 – 123 – 4
18:50D Torok A Bulcraig vs J Smart 6 – 53 – 3
Wed 22 Jan
18:50J Smart vs Seamus MacArdle 7 – 25 – 2
Mon 03 Feb
18:50D Torok A Bulcraig vs Hamish Bunker 4 – 33 – 3
Wed 19 Feb
18:50D Torok A Bulcraig vs Seamus MacArdle 7 – 43 – 4

Updates From the Rink

  • Update on Moray Leisure Centre Ice Pad

    Yesterday Province President Steve Rankin and I met with the management of MLC for an update on the situation regarding Ice Sports.
    Providing there is no tightening of regulation on social distancing, the Ice Pad will be available for curling bookings as from September 6th.

    It is hoped that a “come and try” event will take place towards the end of September and all Moray Province competitions ice requests have been submitted to MLC.

    We will be meeting with MLC management again and will provide further updates subsequently.

    Bill Jaffrey ( Match Sec Moray Province)

  • RCCC AGM – 26 JUNE 2021

    Agenda Item 4b: President of Ladies’ Branch should by right be a member of the RCCC Board

    The Ladies Standing Committee held a Zoom meeting on Tuesday, 8 June to discuss the papers for the forthcoming RCCC AGM.

    Corrie Lawrence, host of the aforementioned Zoom call, has written an Aide Mémoire (below) to try and simplify the process of voting on the AGM matters and highlight particular items that might be complicated or of concern for the LSC.

    The information below is useful for all rccc members, not only the lsc.

    Dear ladies,
    Following the arrival of the AGM papers on Friday, and our LSC meeting on Tuesday, 8 June, there have been many questions about the voting procedures and the numerous items to be voted on. It is made all the more difficult because we cannot meet in-person to discuss the issues of concern.
    As you communicate with your members on matters to do with the AGM at this challenging time, we felt that the information below might be of assistance to you, particularly as the voting is being done online again this year.


    PROCESS

    Friday, 4 June: AGM Board papers arrived in RCCC member inboxes. (If you have not received yours, email Elaine at elaine@scottishcurling.org). NB: If you are a paused member, you are ineligible to vote at the AGM and will not have received the papers.

    If you wish to attend the AGM, you must book your place: Pre-register now. Once registration is complete, you will be emailed a link that will allow you to access the AGM. You should also receive a reminder email.

    All curlers are encouraged to participate. Please cast your votes for the AGM.

    • Members for whom Scottish Curling does not hold an email address will be sent a paper voting slip; to count, this slip must be completed and returned by 2 pm Thursday, 24 June 2021.
    • Members can cast their votes online between 4 June 2021 and 2 pm Thursday, 24 June 2021.
      • Members can vote online or by post without attending the 26 June Zoom AGM.
      • Members can ‘reset’ and cast their votes again if they make a mistake or change their minds.
      • Members who are not comfortable with online voting can ask a friend or relative to help them cast their votes.
    • OPTION 1 – Appoint the Chair as your proxy. You are allowing the Chairman of the Board to choose for you.
    • OPTION 2 – You are telling the Chairman of the Board how you wish your votes to be cast.
      • Please consider completing your own ballot. Granting proxy to the Chairman of the Board will effectively be a vote against Ladies Branch.

    VOTING

    The main item for the LSC is our standalone Special Resolution 4b, the purpose of which is to ensure that the President of the Ladies Branch is a Director of the Board as a right accorded to that position.

    We (The LSC) do not agree with the Board’s reasons for not supporting our Resolution and consider that our case remains strong, having discussed it fully at our LSC meeting on Tuesday, 8 June.
    *Please encourage all members to vote in favour of this Resolution.

    The Board is proposing many changes to the RCCC Memorandum and Articles. They have grouped these into six Resolutions. (3a-3f)

    The LSC discussed these in detail at our meeting on 8Th June and, whilst there are some changes which are not contentious and can be supported, there are some which caused concern to a significant number of your representatives.
    Due to the way the changes have been grouped, where one or more changes are of concern and you do not wish to approve them, it will be necessary to vote against the whole Resolution.

    Please consider the following points in relation to each Resolution:

    3a The reason for amending the wording in relation to CEO remuneration is unclear.

    3b There is concern about the Chairman of the Board holding the proxy votes, as opposed to the President of RCCC or a nominated member.

    3c These resolutions do not give cause for concern.

    3d Whilst there is support in principle for the proposed introduction of a Junior Vice President, following the Ladies Branch structure, there were mixed feelings about the forced imposition of a gender balance and how this sat with “the best person for the role” requirement.

    3e There is widespread concern with this proposal which would require at least 50% of ALL Club Members to support a Motion – not just 50% of those members who actually voted on the matter. This is a higher bar than is required for changes to either the Articles or Bye-laws of RCCC which only require 75% or 50% respectively of those members actually voting. This seems likely to make it significantly more difficult for members to introduce Resolutions.
    It is also unclear what the seconding requirement by another Local Club would entail – is it the same 50% hurdle or something else?

    3f Whilst the renaming of “Virtual Clubs” to “Gateway Clubs” was welcomed, the removal of the detailing of the responsibilities of the Board to a separate document out with the Bye-Laws is of serious concern.

    If you would like to discuss any of these matters before casting your vote, please contact your LSC representative in the first instance or any member of your LSC Executive.

    Thank you for your patience.

    Corrie Lawrence


    INFORMATION SHARED BY MORAY FIRTH LADIES
  • Jimmy Asher

    Jimmy Asher the key to the success of Asher’s bakery has died at his home in Nairn
    Jimmy was a successful businessman a great curler and a gentleman, one of these guys that everybody in the curling fraternity knew and he knew them.
    Jimmy curled regularly outside prior to 1967 when the first indoor rink in the north opened in Aviemore. Jimmy was a staunch member of the Nairn Curling Club and supported Moray Province in many ways. He was a member of the Eric Brown rink which dominated north curling for many years the highlight probable winning the Scottish Rinks Championship in 1974.
    Our condolences and that of all Province curlers who knew Jimmy go to the Asher Dynasty in Nairn where he is survived by his wife Marilyn and their four children – Aileen, George, Alister and Sally – plus nine grandchildren and one great granddaughter.
    Jimmy retired from curling some years ago and was sadly missed then however he was remembered many times in the curling bar in Inverness when stories were being relayed of years gone by. Jimmy received his 50 year medal from The R.C.C.C. so as you can imagine there were plenty stories over that period of time. R.I.P. Jimmy Asher.

  • Moray Province Virtual Annual General Meeting 2021

    The Moray Province Committee invites all members to join a Virtual Annual General Meeting via Zoom on Wednesday the 12th of May 2021 at 7.30pm.
    To join, please click on the link below:
    https://gordonandmacphail.zoom.us/j/93335438644?pwd=Mk5ibHl1dHVCSysrZUF3Rm1hb3Y4UT09&from=addon
    Because the AGM is virtual everyone can easily participate from the comfort of their own home.
    Stephen Rankin completes his two year term of office as President and therefore, has to stand down at the AGM. I am standing down as Secretary, having carried out the role for a considerable number of years. Nominations are required to fill the vacant posts of President, Vice-President, Secretary and Match Secretary West. Stephen and Mike McInnes have both agreed to be nominated to fill the two additional club member Committee vacancies. Would you please urge all your members to consider stepping up to the plate by putting their names forward to fill one the vacant posts. If these roles are not filled, the Committee will struggle to carry out the day-to-day business and there is a very real threat to the future of Moray Province.

    I have attached the Agenda, previous Minutes, Virtual AGM 2021 Proforma and the various reports for information.
    The Committee very much looks forward to welcoming all your members to the meeting on Wednesday the 12th of May at 7.30pm and are hoping for a large turnout.

    With kind regards,
    Mike Pickthall

  • Province Virtual AGM 2021 Proforma.doc
  • Province Virtual AGM 2021 Proforma.doc
  • Province Reports 2021.docx
  • Province Reports 2021.docx
  • Province Virtual AGM 2021 Agenda.doc
  • Province Virtual AGM 2021 Agenda.doc
  • Virtual AGM Minutes 19 Aug 20.docx
  • Virtual AGM Minutes 19 Aug 20.docx
  • Moray Province Curling Development Group (MPCDG) – AGM 12th April 2021

    Fellow Curlers

    Well what a year it has been! The world has seen a pandemic resulting in a terrible loss of life and devastation for many. It has without a doubt changed society as we  know it, but only time will tell.

    On a more positive note, things are beginning to open up, albeit in a data led speed.

    Curling like all other sports has been hit one way or another by restrictions in what we can and cannot do.  We at the MPCDG have continued to hold regular meetings via zoom, to try and take stock of where we are and where we want to be in the future with a view to promote and develop the sport of curling.

     I think all curlers have seen or realised that the number of club members and participants in the sport has fallen significantly over the past few years. The role of  the MPCDG is to try and reverse that trend, but we realise that it will not be an easy task with many other sports and activities trying to do the same.

    We have the backing of Scottish Curling both financially and practically. There is a dedicated team within the MPCDG who give up a lot of their own time to promote curling to new members ie school children, adults and corporate groups.

    The MPCDG run “come and try sessions”, including Wheel chair curling, and people with various disabilities ensuring inclusiveness for all. The MPCDG also encourage those who are interested in coaching to take the various levels of coaching awards run by Scottish Curling.

    However, like everyone else we need the support of not only the members of the curling community, but of those in the public domain and I would encourage you to attend the above webinar using the link supplied, not only to hear what the MPCDG are proposing, but to get your valued input on the best way forward.

    Regards

    Eddie Milne

    Convenor

    Link to Meeting

    https://gordonandmacphail.zoom.us/j/96671160951?pwd=aGUrUzNzOEdMTHlyeWlWU1NONUF5dz09&from=addon

    Associated Documents

  • MPCDG – Agenda AGM 12-4-21.docx
  • MPCDG – Agenda AGM 12-4-21.docx
  • MPCDG – AGM Minutes 2.11.20.docx
  • MPCDG – AGM Minutes 2.11.20.docx
  • Curl Up – Measure Up

    Scottish Curling have been running a series of webinars over the past three months  to help us all get through a winter of no/little curling. The next one is on Tuesday 30th March (7.00-8.30pm) and entitled “Measure Up!” It features Alan Stansfield from Nairn Curling Club, plus another international umpire. The intention is to share a behind the scenes look at a championship from an umpiring perspective, plus there are some unique video situations to share, as well as stories to tell of his experiences. It is aimed at ALL curlers from Club to elite, and is definitely not just for umpires.

    For anyone who might be interested, who has not seen the information on the Scottish Curling website, the link to register is set out below; it is free to all RCCC members, all that is required is your membership number. 

    https://www.scottishcurling.org/clubs-members/curl-up/
  • Inverness Ice Center Recieves £189,000

    A little more information on government funding allocated to ice rinks with Inverness receiving £189,000 which will help mitigate the impact of the pandemic and ensure they are able to reopen safely when the time is right.

    For more information see – The Press Release

    Inverness Ice Center – Chairman’s statement March 2021

    In June last year, the Board took the unanimous decision to reopen the Ice Centre, thereby providing continuity for members and users of all three ice sports. As a result of strict adherence to new COVID compliant procedures and protocols, we incurred significant additional operating costs. In addition to the increased costs, we experienced a sharp drop in income due to COVID restricted capacity and a reduction in those willing to participate in the new environment. The combination of significant rises in expenditure and reduced income, allied with a second lockdown in December, has had a significant impact on the Ice Centre finances

    Therefore, the £189,000 awarded by the Scottish Government to Inverness Ice Centre is timely and most welcome. The grant comes from their £1.75million funding package to help support independent and privately owned or operated ice rinks during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. I would take this opportunity to thank Bruce Crawford (Scottish Curling) , Mike Ferguson (SIRA) and Kate Forbes and her team at Sport Scotland for their hard work and diligence in helping us secure the funding. I would also thank Ice Centre CEO Gordon Barron for his thorough and professional application, which enabled us to secure the funding.

    Looking ahead, the Board will be reviewing a range of options and proposals, many already in our long term plans, designed to assist in the creation of a more sustainable business model. During this process, we will continue with our policy of open and transparent engagement with all our stakeholders. Therefore, as we move forward, I am delighted to announce that two new directors are joining the Board. In Neil Gillies and Keith Hudson, we have two individuals with remarkable CV’s and proven track records. These are indeed challenging times. However I am confident that we have the team in place to ensure a bright future for Inverness Ice Centre .

    Michael G Green

    Chairman

  • Province Club Members’ Forum 25 Feb 21 – notes.doc
  • Province Club Members’ Forum Notes – 25/02/2021
  • Province Club Members Forum – 25/02/2021

    The second Virtual Province Club Members’ Forum will take place on Thursday the 25th of February 2021 at 7.30pm.
    The Province Committee will update club members on what is happening within the Province and give those attending the opportunity to ask questions and make any suggestions that they think appropriate; this is an ideal opportunity for curlers to participate in the Forum from the comfort of their own sitting room.

    To join the Forum, go to: https://gordonandmacphail.zoom.us/j/91934373290?pwd=UUE5QlViRldzYXJtRU0wTDdsVk9iQT09&from=addon

    Mike Pickthall
    Province Secretary

  • Province Curling 2020/21

    Sister and Brother curlers,

    it will come as no surprise to you that as of today the executive has taken the decision that no Province Competitions can be held this season.

    Following further and regular discussion with MLC management ,it is clear that any potential ice availability before the traditional end of the curling season would not allow a realistic Province Curling Season.

    We understand that should ice become available before Easter, the Province would be supportive of any social curling such as a weekend bonspiel .

    The cancellation of Province competitions does not of course preclude individual clubs or organisations from using any curling ice that may be made available.

    Curling at Inverness Ice Centre has already been cancelled and , as no more than 4 League games were possible, it has been decided to declare the Moray Province West League null and void.

    The Province intend to hold another Zoom Province Forum on 25th February and you will receive an invitation to this in due course.

    Best regards,

    Bill Jaffrey ( Match Sec)

    22/01/21

  • MORAY PROVINCE SECRETARY REPLACEMENT.
    Snowdoun, 11 Rose Avenue, Elgin, Morayshire, IV30 1NX pickthallm37@gmail.com 01343545841 4th January 2021 Dear Province Club Member, PROVINCE SECRETARY REPLACEMENT Mike Pickthall has been Province Secretary since May 2013 and has decided to stand down at the 2021 AGM, so a replacement will be required. During his time as Secretary, Mike has compiled paper records and a comprehensive data base of information, all of which has been transferred onto a memory stick for reference and as a permanent historical record; this will be available to whoever takes over. To make the work of the Committee as straightforward as possible, an “Office Bearers’ Calendar” is available to each Committee member, setting out the tasks which need to be completed during the year. Mike has said that he will make himself available to assist his replacement and has suggested that whoever takes over might like to consider being co-opted onto the Committee prior to the AGM, as one of the two additional club members. Mike is giving the Province early notice of his departure to allow plenty of time for a replacement to be nominated before the 2021 AGM. With kind regards, Stephen Rankin President
  • MORAY LEISURE CENTRE ICE RINK CLOSURE
    MORAY LEISURE CENTRE ICE RINK CLOSURE Dear Club Member, Because of the Scottish Government’s latest Covid regulations, the Moray Leisure Centre ice rink will not now open for curling on the 4th of January as originally planned. The latest information received by the Province Committee would indicate that the ice rink will remain closed until the end of January at the earliest. As I’m sure you are all aware, with this pandemic, the situation is fluid and frequently changes and therefore, plans have to be changed. As information is made available to the Committee, it will be circulated to the club secretaries so that you are kept informed. I appreciate how frustrating this is but rest assured, as soon as the Committee is made aware of what is being planned by MLC, we will update you about any future plans for the 2021 season. May I, on behalf of the Province Committee, wish you and your family a safe and joyful Christmas and a happy New Year. Yours Faithfully, Mike Pickthall Province Secretary 
  • Members Forum 2nd December

    MORAY PROVINCE NOTES ON VIRTUAL PROVINCE CLUB MEMBERS’ FORUM Held on Wednesday 2nd December 2020 

    The Province President welcomed everyone to the Forum and explained that its purpose was to inform club members about what was happening in the Province and to give club them the opportunity to ask questions, raise any issues they wished to have discussed and make any suggestions that they thought appropriate. MLC Return to Curling Update Cameron Clark updated the meeting. Curling is planned to start on the 4th of January It is planned to lay the ice down before Christmas It is anticipated that 4 sheets will be used and that sheet “C” will be left vacant Session start times with staggered starts still to be decided. Possibly 6.30 t0 8.45pm and 9.00pm to 11.15pm Benches would be available for shoe changing Controlled entry/exit via the sheet “B” fire door Curlers required to phone the Leisure Centre in advance giving name and contact number and paying by card for their own ice All equipment will be sanitised prior to each session and sanitiser and wipes will be available at both ends of each sheet Curlers to use the same stones throughout the game No spectators allowed and only those who have pre-booked will be permitted access to the ice rink All Club Covid Officers will be invited to take part in an informal walk through the facility with the Rink Covid Officer Face masks will be required when not on the ice and when moving about the building PROVINCE PROGRAMME PLANNING DETAILS Bill Jaffrey updated the meeting on his programme planning for the start of curling. Four leagues consisting of six teams playing each other once Safety protocols will be sent out to all the skips The League KO to be played The Points will not be played A decision on whether to run the Pairs Competition still to be taken A decision about promotions/demotions at the end of the season still to be finalised One team from the East and two from the West have dropped out of the League for the forthcoming season. One team from last season’s East Division 1 did not enter, so from Division 2, two teams were promoted and one relegated; this was because Division 3 had one withdrawal at beginning of season (the 3rd finishing team), therefore, there were two promotions from Division 3 and one relegation from Division 2. One Division 3 team withdrew due to Covid, so an extra team was moved up from Division 4 to Division 3. SUPERLEAGUE Graeme Govan anticipates 14 teams playing in Superleague with 8 in Division One and 6 in Division Two. He invited anyone who wished to play in Superleague to get in touch with him (govangraeme@hotmail.com). MEMBERS VIEWS ANNOUNCEMENTS AND QUESTIONS Matthew Smith was thanked by the President for his work upgrading the Province website. The content from the old website is in the process of being transferred onto the new one. Bill Nicol was thanked for the considerable amount work he has carried out scanning archive material which will eventually be available for members to view on the new website. Archive material has also been transferred onto a memory stick which will allow many of the paper records, which are bulky and take up space, to be disposed of. The MLC Christmas Bonspiel will not be held this year. Should it go ahead, the National Virtual Club Bonspiel is due to be hosted by MLC in March. The Scottish Curling Covid Guidelines will be sent to all the Province clubs for distribution to their members. Should non attendees have any queries raised by the minutes E:g Session Times, controlled entry, Ice Payment, Club covid Officers, then contact Mike P direct.🥌
  • Moray Province Forum ???
    Dear Club Secretary, Please could you forward this email to all your members. It is important that as many of your club members join the Zoom “Province Club Members’ Forum” to be updated on what is being planned with regard to the start of curling on the 4th of January in the East and what is already happening in the West. The Forum will also allow individual members to ask questions by using the  “hands up” procedure which will be explained to those not familiar with Zoom at the start of the Forum. Also for those not familiar with the wonders of Zoom, just click on the “join zoom meeting” in Stephen’s email and follow the links. The Province Committee looks forward to meeting as many of you as possible on Wednesday the 2nd of December at 7.30pm. With kind regards, Mike Pickthall Province Secretary
  • GREENWOOD TAKES NICOL QUAICH WEST.

    Calum Greenwood’s Ardclach rink became Moray Province Champions last night in the Covid rearranged Nicol Quaich.  The Nairnshire crew were clear 8-2 winners over the East Winners, Buckie Curling Club skipped by whiskey supremo Steve Rankin.

    At Inverness Ice Centre, a score of 4 at the first end caught the understandably undercooked Buckie boys cold, and in the hands of a team as strong as the Greenwoods, that lead would prove a bridge too far for Rankin and co. Single shots were exchanged in ends two and three, and a canny shot from the experienced Neil Campbell at third set up the Ardclach lads for a single steal and a 6-1 lead after four ends. A Buckie single and a closing Ardclach deuce completed the scoring and a worthy win for the West winners.

    The winning rink comprised Callum Greenwood, Neil Campbell, Ruaridh Greenwood and James Greenwood and the Buckie team was Steve Rankin, Alan Campbell, Scott Seton and Tim Rutzler.

    BJ

  • Agenda-Committee Meeting 1 Feb 2015.docx
  • Agenda For 2014 AGM.docx
  • Province-Committee-meeting-Minutes-29-Oct-17.docx
  • PROVINCE-COMMITTEE-MEETING-MINUTES-16-NOV-14-3.docx
  • M-P-C-D-G-Minutes-30.10.17.docx
  • AGM-2017-AGENDA.docx
  • Province-AGM-Financials-2018.pdf
  • Province Executive Meeting Notes – 23-Oct-16.docx
  • Ice4All 2016 AGM.docx
  • Province Trophy Winners 2013-14.docx
  • Summary of report to Special Meeting of the Moray Council.docx
  • Province Virtual Annual General Meeting
    Dear Moray Province Club Member, All Moray Province Curlers are invited to a Zoom Annual General Meeting. When: Aug 19, 2020 07:30 PM London Register in advance for this meeting: https://gordonandmacphail.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMvfuyvrjMsGdAiQgXnLtphWAoC5QtlljXV After registering, a confirmation email will be received containing information about joining the meeting. Attached is the Agenda for the Meeting, the Minutes of the A G M held on 8th May 2019, the Office Bearers’ and Sub-Committee Conveners’ Reports and a note of bereavements. [embeddoc url=”https://moraycurling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Province-Virtual-AGM-Agenda-2020.docx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”] [embeddoc url=”https://moraycurling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Province-Virtual-AGM-2020-Reports.doc” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”] [embeddoc url=”https://moraycurling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Province-AGM-Minutes-8-May-19.docx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”] The Province Executive Committee very much looks forward to as many of your members as possible joining the meeting on the 19th. With kind regards, Mike Pickthall Province Secretary